This Oven Baked Chicken Breast recipe makes an easy, delicious, no-fuss weeknight chicken dinner, or can be used in many other main dish recipes that call for cooked chicken.
Click here to receive FREE recipes in your inbox!
This Oven Baked Chicken Breast recipe is a staple in our house. It is so easy that even Mr. Flavor Mosaic can make it. Best of all, it turns out moist, tender, and juicy every time.
The best part, other than letting the chicken bake in the oven and forget it, is that you can cook this recipe ahead of time and then use it in so many different recipes that call for cooked chicken. I love to cook this on a Sunday afternoon, and then can use it to make other recipes during the week.
For example, this Oven Baked Chicken Breast can be used in Chicken Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole, Easy Kung Pao Chicken, Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta, Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cream Sauce, Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup, and many more chicken recipes.
If you prefer to use chicken thighs, be sure to check out my Oven Baked Chicken Thighs with Bacon and Ranch recipe.
In addition, this Oven Baked Chicken Breast goes well with many of your favorite side dishes, such as Asiago Bruschetta Roasted Asparagus, Lemon Asparagus Asiago Brown Rice, Honey Glazed Carrots, Rice Pilaf, and Oven Roasted Green Beans.
It is important that you like the base recipe, this Oven Baked Chicken Breast in this case, before adding it to other recipes. You want the chicken to be moist and not dry and be seasoned to your taste but not overly seasoned if you are going to be using it in other recipes.
Even though this Oven Baked Chicken Breast is baked in the oven I like to use a cast iron skillet. That way, if I want, I can start cooking the chicken in the skillet on top of the stove and then let it finish in the oven. That way I can brown the chicken to sear in the juices, and let it finish cooking in the oven.
The cast iron skillet is nice because it is oven-safe, and heats evenly throughout the skillet. This results in moist, tender, juicy chicken.
4 Key Steps for Tender, Moist, Juicy Chicken
- Brush the chicken with olive oil. (You can also use your favorite oil, such as coconut oil, or melted butter.)
- Season the chicken. (I like to use salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and rosemary or Italian seasoning.)
- Brown the chicken first in a cast iron skillet on the stove. Don’t cook it all the way through, just brown it on both sides to seal in the flavor and juices.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven to finish cooking. Be sure your skillet is oven safe. Otherwise, transfer the chicken to an oven-safe dish. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F. to finish cooking the chicken all the way through.
Start with boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and rosemary, or if you prefer, Italian seasoning. It is critical not to overcook the chicken to prevent it from being dry.
To help the chicken stay moist rub the chicken breasts with a little olive oil before cooking. This helps the seasonings stick to the chicken and helps prevent it from drying out.
You can have this Oven Baked Chicken Breast on the dinner table in 30 minutes or refrigerate, or freeze it to use it in other recipes later on. It is a great staple recipe to keep on hand.
Before the step by step recipe, here are some additional recipes that you can use this Oven Baked Chicken Breasts in for later in the week. Keep scrolling down to get the printable recipe.
Try serving this chicken with a homemade Rice Pilaf recipe with vermicelli.
If you want to cook a whole chicken, try making this Oven Roasted Chicken.
Check out these other oven baked chicken recipes:
- Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Bacon, Ranch, and Cheddar
- Baked BBQ Chicken
- Chicken Broccoli Cheese Quinoa Casserole
- Easy Kung Pao Chicken
- Honey Balsamic Sheet Pan Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Stir Fry
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 4 chicken breast halves boneless, skinless
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary or Italian Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Brush chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season all sides of chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and rosemary.
In a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- When the skillet is hot, add the seasoned chicken to brown. Cook for about 2 minutes. Turn and cook for another 2 minutes.
If you are using a cast iron or oven-safe skillet, place the skillet with the chicken in the preheated oven and bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes. If your skillet is not oven-proof, transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
When the chicken is cooked, remove from oven, and let rest for about 10 minutes.
If you like this recipe, you may also like these Chicken recipes:
* Hasselback Chicken Stuffed with Bacon, Ranch, and Cheddar
* Honey Balsamic Sheet Pan Chicken
* Rotisserie Chicken Breast Tenders
* Baked Chicken Tenders with Honey Sriracha
* Oven Baked Chicken Thighs with Bacon and Ranch
Other recipes you may enjoy.
Baked Chicken Tenders with Honey Sriracha.
This recipe was originally published April 11, 2016, and republished with updated information and a how-to video on February 1, 2019.