This incredibly delicious Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cream Sauce makes an awesome casserole with chicken (or turkey) and linguine (or spaghetti) pasta, which is easy to make and is a real crowd-pleaser. It is a great recipe to use up leftover chicken or turkey after a holiday or any day.
Chicken and pasta are two of my favorite foods as you can tell by several of my recipes, such as Chicken Spinach Spaghetti, Cheesy Chicken Skillet Pasta, Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells, and Cheesy Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta. Add in cream and asiago cheese, and I’m hooked! There is something warm and comforting about a creamy cheesy chicken and pasta dish. Of course, it is out of this world delicious. This Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is always a hit with everyone whenever I make it. I can just about guarantee that if you make it, there will be no leftovers.
Another reason I love this particular Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is that it is made from scratch. No canned soup is used in this recipe. Don’t worry. It is still easy to make. Got leftover chicken or turkey? Use it in this recipe. Need easy? Use a rotisserie chicken. It tastes wonderful in this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe. Another reason that I love this recipe is that instead of using heavy cream, it uses Half and Half (half milk and half cream) and greek yogurt for the Asiago cream sauce. Trust me, it makes it creamy and delicious. You will never miss the heavy cream in this Chicken Tetrazzini recipe.
Another reason I love this particular Chicken Tetrazzini recipe is that it is, for the most part, a one-pot meal, or I guess in this case, a one-skillet meal. I do boil the pasta in a separate pan, but that is it. Everything else is made in the skillet starting with the vegetables, which in this case, include chopped onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms. To add a tremendous amount of delicious flavor, I use Sherry Cooking wine. When combined with the asiago and parmesan cheeses, it has a flavor unique to Chicken Tetrazzini. However, if you prefer, you could substitute chicken broth for the Sherry Cooking Wine, and it will still be delicious, but the flavor will not be the same as when the sherry is used.
If you use an oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet, this dish can go from on top of the stove to the oven. In my opinion, the oven is really not needed unless you want to add a crunchy crust of bread crumbs. We liked it so much without the bread crumb topping, we ate it without it. But that is up to you if you want the crunchy bread crumb topping or not.
Now it is your turn to make it. Let me know in the comments if you prefer your Chicken Tetrazzini with the crunchy bread crumb topping or with just the creamy cheesy Asiago cream sauce.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cream Sauce
- 12 ounces linguine or spaghetti pasta
- 1/2 cup 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound white mushrooms sliced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup Sherry
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated Asiago (or parmesan)
- 1/4 cup dried Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Prepare the linguine according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.12 ounces linguine or spaghetti pasta
- Add the shredded chicken to a large mixing bowl.3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a deep large, oven-safe, skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates about 6-7 minutes.1/2 cup 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, 1 pound white mushrooms
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until they are soft, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Pour in the Sherry and let it cook until the Sherry evaporates. Transfer the vegetable mixture to the bowl with the cooked, shredded chicken. Set aside.1 large onion, 3 cloves garlic, 3/4 cup Sherry, 1 bell pepper
- Melt 3 more tablespoons butter in the same pan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in the Half and Half, salt, and pepper. Increase the heat to medium. Simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens slightly, whisking often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in greek yogurt and half of the shredded asiago cheese.1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour, 4 cups half and half, 1/2 cup grated Asiago, 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Add the vegetables, and linguine to the chicken mixture. Toss until the sauce coats the pasta and the mixture is well blended.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Stir the remaining asiago cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend.
- If you don't have an oven-safe skillet, transfer the chicken tetrazzini into a prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the cheese and bread crumb mixture over the pasta. Dot with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Bake, uncovered, until golden brown on top and the sauce bubbles, about 25 minutes. Serve the Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cream sauce while it is still hot.
If you like this Chicken Tetrazzini with Asiago Cream Sauce, be sure to check out my other Chicken and Pasta recipes to see recipes like these.