Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is the absolute best tater tat casserole you will ever try! It is loaded with chicken, bacon, ranch seasoning, and homemade cream sauce, and, of course, tater tots!
This Easy Tater Tot Casserole is loaded with flavor and makes a delicious kid-friendly casserole dinner that you can make ahead of time and freeze for later.
Tater Tot Casserole
As a kid, I loved Tater Tots. Really, what kid doesn’t love Tater Tots? They are a family dinner staple in the U.S.
Did you know that Tater Tots are an American invention, according to Wikipedia? Ore-Ira potatoes invented Tater Tots back in 1953 when they were trying to find a way to use up slivers of leftover cut potatoes. They started selling Tater Tots in stores in 1956.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole is one of our favorite Casserole Recipes. Like Chicken Alfredo Italian Totchos, and Chicken Bacon Ranch Pasta Bake, Southern Squash Casserole, and Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Chicken and Rice Casserole, This casserole is family-friendly so you know the kids will love it.
Honestly, I struggled with what to call this recipe because it has so many good things in it. Do I call it Chicken Tater Tot Casserole? That would be accurate because it does have crispy chicken in it.
Should I call It Sausage Tater Tot Casserole? It would qualify because it has sausage bacon in it. That is sausage cut into strips like bacon.
Maybe I should call it something simple like Easy Tater Tot Casserole or the Best Tater Tot Casserole because it is easy and tastes the best? In addition, this tater tot casserole has bacon! Bacon! Actually, it has strips of Sausage bacon, which makes it even better!
One of the things I like is that this Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole is that it is made without canned soup. Instead, it includes a simple recipe for ranch-flavored homemade cream gravy.
I’m telling you this tater tot casserole is like a kitchen sink casserole because it is loaded with all kinds of good flavorful ingredients.
How To Make This Tater Tot Casserole
Tater Tot Casserole Ingredients
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
With only a few ingredients that you likely have on hand, you can make this mouth-watering kid-friendly casserole for dinner.
- Chicken – I used frozen chicken breasts. However, you could use your favorite chicken recipe instead to use it in this casserole, like Baked Chicken Tenders with Honey Sriracha, or Cajun Blackened Chicken, if you like.
- Sausage Bacon or Bacon – I used Sausage Bacon, which is sausage cut into strips like the shape of bacon. However, you can use regular bacon if you like.
- Tater Tots – Use frozen tater tots. You don’t even have to thaw them out.
- Flour – The flour is used to thicken the cream gravy.
- Milk – I recommend using whole milk for the country gravy. You maybe could use 2%, but I would not use lower fat milk below 2%.
- Ranch Seasoning – This is the packet of dry Ranch seasoning mix that many of us already have sitting in our pantry.
- Salt and Pepper
- Egg Noodles – If you don’t have egg noodles, you could use another type of pasta like rotini pasta.
Making this recipe requires the steps below. For the full detailed directions, scroll down to the bottom of the blog post, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card.
- Cook the Sausage Bacon or regular Bacon.
- Make the Cream Sauce
- Thicken the Cream Sauce
- Assemble the Casserole layer by layer.
- Bake the casserole, and then serve hot!
- When you remove the sausage bacon from the skillet. Be sure to leave the grease in the pan because that will be used to make the cream gravy.
- Be sure to cook the egg noodles until just al dente. You don’t want to overcook the egg noodles because they will cook some more when they are added to the casserole.
What To Serve With Tater Tot Casserole
Variations Of Tater Tot Casseroles
- Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole – Cover the chicken in buffalo wing sauce and then make this casserole as is.
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole – This Tater Tot Casserole is made with taco meat, tater tots, and lots of cheese!
- Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole – Layer the casserole in a slow cooker and cook on low for 5 or 6 hours and on high for 2 to 3 hours.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Make Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole Ahead of Time?
- Yes! You can make it the night before and store it in the refrigerator overnight and pop it in the morning the next day about 1 hour before you are ready to serve.
- Can I Freeze this Casserole?
- Yes! You can freeze this recipe by covering the dish in freezer wrap or preparing the casserole in an air-tight freezer-safe pan.
- How Do I reheat this Tater Tot Casserole?
- Uncover the casserole and place it in a preheated 350-degree F oven for 40 minutes.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Shells
- Chile Relleno Casserole
- Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hash Brown Casserole
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350* degrees F.
- Cook sausage bacon over medium heat in a large skillet. Remove the sausage bacon, but keep the grease in the pan. Dice bacon and set aside.
- Add flour to the sausage grease in the skillet and stir. Cook on medium-high for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, salt and pepper, and ranch seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes or until gravy thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook and drain the egg noodles. Add the cooked noodles to the casserole dish and evenly spread to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Dice breaded chicken. Evenly spread the chicken and bacon over egg noodles.
- Pour country gravy on top of casserole. Top with tater tots.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serve warm and enjoy!
- Sausage bacon can be substituted with bacon.
- Be sure to keep the grease left behind as this gives the gravy its flavor!
- Cook noodles al dente