Let’s face it. Sometimes when you are feeling under the weather or you just want something comforting, nothing hits the spot better than good old fashioned homemade chicken noodle soup. There is just something about those chicken pieces, noodles, and vegetables in a steaming broth that makes you feel all warm inside after you eat it.
When cooking I believe in using ingredients I already have in the fridge and pantry rather than running to the store, because I hate going to the store. If I could I would have the fridge and pantry computerized and linked to the grocery store computer so when I get low on items, they automatically refill both the fridge and pantry. Wouldn’t that be great? What a wonderful dream. OK….back to reality and soup making.
To make the soup I used leftover rotisserie chicken, low sodium no fat chicken broth (I use Kitchen Basics) and the pasta and vegetables I had on hand, which meant egg noodles, carrots, onions, and asparagus for the vegetables. Any pasta and vegetables you have on hand will work in this soup. That is one of the reasons I love soup. It is such a great way to use leftovers, and soup always tastes delicious.
Serve this delicious, comforting soup with crusty bread or biscuits (or whatever you have on hand).
It is so easy and comforting, you can’t go wrong with chicken noodle soup. Go ahead and try it. You don’t have to wait until you are sick to enjoy chicken noodle soup.
Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 cup wide egg noodles
- 4 cups chicken broth or chicken stock I use low sodium
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium carrot peeled and sliced
- 1 cup cooked shredded chicken
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles and boil for 8 minutes, or until tender. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- In a large saucepan, combine chicken broth, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Stir in celery, onion, garlic, and carrots. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir in noodles and chicken. Cover and simmer for about 15 more minutes.