Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hashbrown Casserole gives the classic Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole a flavor boost with bacon, ranch seasoning mix, Worcestershire, and hot sauce.
Nothing is more comforting or crowd-pleasing than the good old creamy, cheesy hash brown potato casserole that has been served at family gatherings, potlucks, funerals, and church suppers for generations. My sister serves her version every Thanksgiving. People threaten not to show up if the hash brown casserole is not served. It is tradition, and you don’t mess with tradition……until now.
What Is A Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole?
Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole, also known as a Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole, is a Thanksgiving side dish casserole made with shredded hashbrown potatoes, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and shredded cheese that is a favorite Southern casserole and is popular for holidays, Thanksgiving, and potlucks because it can feed a crowd, is easy to make and is budget-friendly.
How To Make a Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole?
It is extremely easy to make a Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole, and I’ll show you how to make a variation on the basic recipe to include bacon and ranch flavors.
What Ingredients Are In For Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole?
You will need the following ingredients to make this casserole.
Ingredients For Base Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- Ore-Ida Shredded Hash Brown Potatoes, thawed (or any brand of frozen hash brown potatoes)
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Cream of Chicken Soup (Or Use Substitute Recipe blow)
- Melted Butter
- Bread Crumbs (or Crushed Cornflakes Cereal)
Additional Ingredients For Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hashbrown Casserole
- Chopped Onions
- Ranch Seasoning Mix
- Hot Sauce (optional)
What Can I Substitute For Cream of Chicken Soup?
If you don’t have Cream of Chicken Soup, you will need these ingredients to make your own homemade Cream of Chicken Soup.
- Chicken Broth
In a skillet, melt butter. Add flour and stir to make a paste. Pour in chicken broth and stir. Then pour in milk and stir to make the substitute Cream of Chicken Soup.
How To Make This Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
To make it, start with the chicken soup base, which consists of butter, flour, onions, chicken broth, and milk. Then add the seasonings: salt, pepper, ranch seasoning mix, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and bacon. Stir in all the traditional ingredients, sour cream, cheese, and shredded potatoes. And for the finale, top with the crunchy panko breadcrumbs drizzled with melted butter.
How Long To Bake a Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole?
Cook for approximately 45 minutes to an hour and then you have the most amazing potato casserole you have ever tasted in your life!
Variations On Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole
My version of this rich cheesy potato casserole includes chopped bacon, ranch seasoning mix, Worcestershire and hot sauce. What it doesn’t have is canned soup. No cream of chicken or cream of mushroom or cream of anything soup. This version is so easy to make, and it saves money too.
And I must say that these potatoes are frickin’ AWESOME! As far as I’m concerned I don’t need to make any more recipes. I could just live on this Hashbrown casserole alone. It tastes that good. I heard someone call them “crack” potatoes and that would be accurate because they are addictive. Make sure you have a crowd to feed because, otherwise, you can’t stop eating this stuff.
How To Freeze A Hashbrown Casserole
This casserole freezes very well. As a matter of fact, many people make 2 casseroles at once so they can serve one and freeze the second one to serve at a later date.
Make the recipe per the instructions. Then you can choose whether to bake it now or freeze it for later. If you choose to bake it, follow the instructions of the printable recipe below.
Wrap the unbaked casserole with freezer wrap or aluminum foil. Write the name of the dish and write the date. You can freeze the hashbrown casserole for up to 3 months.
When you remove from the freezer, let the casserole thaw completely before baking. Bake the casserole according to the recipe directions.
It’s your turn. Are you a traditionalist? Do you dare to tempt fate and tweak tradition? Go ahead I dare you. I double dare you! Go ahead. Make this Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hashbrown Casserole. You will thank me later.
What To Serve With Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hash Brown Casserole?
- Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad for a light and refreshing salad.
- Cajun Herb Prime Rib Roast for an impressive holiday dinner.
- Roast Turkey With Apple Cider Brine for a main course for Thanksgiving dinner.
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic and Bacon for a vegetable side dish.
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole for a classic vegetable holiday side dish.
- Savory Herb Rolls – to round out the dinner.
- Old Fashioned Chess Pie for a simple, classic dessert.
Pin To Save
Cheesy Bacon Ranch Hash Brown Casserole
CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP SUBSTITUTE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth (I use the no salt added Kitchen Basic brand)
- 1 cup milk (I use 1%)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package ranch seasoning mix
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire
- 1 dash hot sauce (adjust to taste)
- 6 slices cooked bacon , chopped
TRADITIONAL HASH BROWN CASSEROLE
- 1 cup sour cream (I use light sour cream)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar , shredded
- 1 30-ounce bag Frozen Ore-Ida Hash Brown Potatoes , thawed
- 2 tablespoons butter , melted
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- On top of the stove, in a large sauce pan over medium low heat, melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Add chopped onions and cook until they are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in 1/4 cup flour and continue stirring for about 1 minutes until you have a paste.
- Pour in 1-1/2 cups chicken broth. Add in salt, pepper, ranch seasoning, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Continue stirring.
- Stir in milk and continue stirring. Let it simmer for about 5 - 7 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add sour cream and cheese and stir until smooth.
- Add chopped bacon and fold in the Ore-Ida hash brown potatoes. Stir until all ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the mixture.
- Spoon the potato mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly over the top of the casserole. Drizzle melted butter over the top of the bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped bacon and green onions, if desired.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.
This recipe was originally published on October 26, 2013, and republished with new photos and additional information on November 12, 2018.