These Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic will turn brussels sprouts haters into brussels sprouts lovers! Why? Because roasting the brussels sprouts with Bacon, onion, and a Balsamic Glaze adds incredible nutty, smoky flavor!
For many years I was one of them.
You know. One of THOSE people. One of THOSE brussels sprouts haters.
So was my husband. While we do not agree on everything, this one thing we did agree upon for many years.
That was until I made this recipe! These Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic made me a believer! I am now a brussels sprouts lover! That’s right! This recipe made me a convert.
However, I do admit to not loving all forms of cooking of brussels sprouts. OK, I still do not care for steaming or boiling brussels sprouts.
Brussels sprouts are often described similar to baby cabbage. I remember as a kid trying cabbage and Brussels sprouts and remembering the texture as being mushy.
In contrast, these Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic are crispy. Why is this recipe different?
The roasting, together with the bacon, really make the difference.
Most of all, the roasting of these Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic, caramelizes the brussels sprouts and releases all that flavor that other cooking techniques don’t. It makes them crispy and nutty and adds that smoky bacon flavor.
Secondly, the bacon cooks with the brussels sprouts infusing them with that incredible smoky, bacony flavor.
Furthermore, Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic are cooked with onions on the baking sheet so the onions caramelize as well.
In addition, the drizzle of the thick balsamic glaze takes these brussels sprouts over the top. I bought a thick balsamic glaze (instead of just balsamic vinegar) from the store.
However, you could use balsamic vinegar and honey and cook it on the stovetop to reduce it down until it thickens to more of a syrup.
Will these Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic be on your Thanksgiving table?
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
- 1-1/2 pounds brussels sprouts cleaned and trimmed
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1" pieces
- Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning 1/3 packet or make your own taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Balsamic Glaze Use store-bought or See Recipe Below
- 1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray.
- Slice the brussels sprouts in half and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the brussels sprouts with olive oil and toss to coat.
- Spread the sliced brussels sprouts out in one layer on the sheet pan.
- Add the onion slices to the sheet pan.
- Place the bacon pieces on top of the brussels sprouts.
- Sprinkle the brussels sprouts, bacon, and onions with salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400 Degrees F for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze before serving.
While the brussels sprouts are cooking, place a small saucepan over medium heat.
Pour in the balsamic vinegar and either honey or maple syrup. Bring the mixture to a boil.
Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 10 minutes until the mixture is reduced by half.
Remove from heat. Let cool before serving.
Be sure to pin these Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic to your favorite recipe board.