Cheesy Tomatillo Verde Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas are cheesy, creamy, spicy, chicken enchiladas that are easy to make and your family will love.
I love Tex-Mex. I live in the right place. We have numerous excellent Tex-Mex restaurants in town. However, while I make other types of Tex-Mex recipes at home, I don’t often make chicken enchiladas at home because they seemed like a lot of work. Boy, I was wrong!
However, last year as an assignment for AllRecipes, I tried the new Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce. We loved it. Now I use it all the time. It is all natural and has no preservatives and tastes fantastic. It saves a tremendous amount of time, which makes it great for cooking on a weeknight. This is not a sponsored post. I am just a fan of their product.
For this chicken enchilada recipe, you will need shredded cooked chicken. I believe in using what you have on hand. However, it truly enhances the flavor if your cooked chicken was well seasoned with Mexican seasonings like taco seasoning or fajita seasoning. That being said, any leftover chicken, like from a Rotisserie chicken, will work.
This Cheesy Tomatillo Verde Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas recipe makes chicken enchiladas about as easy as they can get. Don’t worry about the long name, just follow the simple step by step directions below, and you can have a delicious chicken enchilada dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
Thank you for visiting. Don’t forget to Subscribe to Flavor Mosaic to have recipes delivered to your inbox. Follow Flavor Mosaic on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest happenings!
- 1-1/2 cups Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce or other salsa verde
- 2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken I like to use chicken cooked with taco or fajita seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
- 6 six-inch flour tortillas
- chopped fresh cilantro optional
- chopped green onions optional
- chopped avocado optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the tomatillo verde salsa, sour cream, and half of the cheese.
- Pour 2 cups of the sauce into another bowl. Set aside. (This is to pour over the top of the enchiladas later)
- Stir in the shredded cooked chicken into the original batch of sauce.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the reserved sauce to the bottom of a 9-inch x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place roughly 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla. Roll up each tortilla and place seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Pour the reserved sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the top of the enchiladas. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20 minutes until the sides are bubbly and the cheese is melted on the top. Garnish with chopped, green onions, cilantro, or chopped avocado and serve.
To enhance the flavor, use my Homemade Taco Seasoning to spice up the chicken.
If you like this recipe, try some of my other Mexican recipes such as Salsa Chicken.
Or how about some Sizzling Steak Fajitas!
Or how about some guacamole to go with your enchiladas? Then try my Game Day Guacamole!
This post may be included in one of these fantastic link parties.