Save time and oven space by making the traditional Green Bean Casserole in the Instant Pot. It is easy, delicious, and frees up precious oven space when preparing for a holiday dinner.
I can’t believe Thanksgiving is just over 2 weeks away! This year Thanksgiving is going to be quite different due to the pandemic. No large family gatherings. Instead, People are celebrating Thanksgiving at home with their immediate family and those in their close circle.
I decided to make a green bean casserole in the Instant Pot. I love my Instant Pot, and I know I’m not alone in that because I know there are millions of folks out there that love theirs too.
Normally during Thanksgiving, oven space is extremely limited because you have to cook all of the Thanksgiving Recipes, like Roast Turkey and other casseroles, like the Sweet Potato Casserole, Corn Casserole, Squash Casserole, and Hash Brown Casserole.
However, this Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole can free up both your oven space and stovetop space. Furthermore, it is really quick and easy to make it in the Instant Pot. It only requires only 6 ingredients and that is including salt and pepper.
How Do I Make Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Fresh Green Beans. Fresh green beans are highly recommended. If you want to use canned French-style green beans then be sure to read the recipe notes in the recipe card below because the recipe will have to be modified if you make that substitution.
- Chicken Broth. You could simply use water, or use water and a chicken bouillon cube or Better Than Bouillon.
- Salt & Pepper
- Cream of Mushroom Soup. Be sure to use the condensed cream of mushroom soup. If you use regular cream of mushroom soup then there will be too much liquid in the recipe.
- French Fried Onions
- Pressure Cook The Green Beans.
- Pour in 1/2 cup chicken broth and fresh green beans. (NOTE: If using canned French-style green beans, see the notes below in the recipe card.) Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH PRESSURE for 2 MINUTES. Then when finished, do a quick release by moving the pressure release valve to the VENTING position. When it has finished releasing pressure, open the lid.
- Press Cancel and then press SAUTE. Add in the Cream Of Mushroom Soup and salt and pepper. Stir until the green beans are thoroughly covered in the soup mixture.
- Add half of the French Fried Onions and stir.
- Spoon the Green Bean Casserole onto a serving dish and top with the rest of the French Fried Onions.
- OPTIONAL: If you would like a crunchier topping, bake the Green Bean Casserole in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 5 minutes.
- Type of Green Beans. I highly recommend using fresh green beans for the best results. However, if you want to use canned French-style green beans then you will need to skip the first step of pressure cooking the green beans. Just add the broth and green beans during step 2 and use the SAUTE function to heat up the casserole. It may take about 5 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Make This Recipe In the Oven?
- Yes! Just follow the instructions in my Homemade Green Bean Casserole Recipe to make this casserole in the oven.
- Can I Make This Ahead of Time?
- Yes. You can make it ahead of time. However, I recommend leaving off the French-Fried Onions because they will become soggy if they sit. Prepare everything ahead of time and place the green bean casserole in a serving dish with a cover, but leave off the French fried onions.
- How Do I Store the Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole?
- Cover the dish tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 48 hours until you are ready to serve.
- How Do I Reheat This Casserole?
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Remove the cover and top the casserole with French Fried Onions. When the oven is hot, place the casserole in the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until heated through, and the French fried onions are golden brown.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Easy Cornbread Dressing
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | BlogLovin | Instagram
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or water)
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup French Fried onions
Pressure Cook The Green Beans
- Pressure Cook the Green Beans by placing 1/2 cup chicken broth or water in the bottom of the inner liner pot of the Instant Pot. Then add the fresh green beans.
- Select MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH PRESSURE for 2 minutes. When Finished, do a QUICK RELEASE by moving the pressure release valve to the VENTING position.
Combine Ingredients & Heat Through
- After the Instant Pot has released all its pressure, press CANCEL and OPEN the lid. Press SAUTE and then add the cream of mushroom soup and seasonings and stir.
- Add 1/2 the French Fried onions and stir.
- Top with the other ½ cup of fried onions before serving.
Optional: Toast Topping in Oven
- If you want the french fried onions toasted for a crunchier topping, transfer the green bean casserole to a serving dish and top with the remaining French fried onions. Place the casserole in a preheated 425 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until the french fried onions on top are browned. Watch carefully so the fried onions don't burn.
- I used exactly 1 ½ pounds of fresh green beans and there was enough cream of mushroom soup to cover all of them.
- If using canned green beans, skip the first step of pressure cooking the green beans, and add the green beans with the cream of mushroom soup in the second step when using the SAUTE function.
- The soup mixture will thicken as it cools.
- My family likes to have a lot of fried onions, but using ½ cup in the casserole, and ½ cup to the top was a usual amount. The tub of onions I purchased was 6 oz. and we used a little more than half of the tub. More or less can be added based on preference.
Leave a Reply