This Easy Cornbread Dressing recipe, or stuffing if you prefer, is a must for a family’s Thanksgiving holiday table. At our house it would not be Thanksgiving without it. Hopefully, it will become your favorite too.
Click here to receive FREE recipes in your inbox!
Thanksgiving would not be Thanksgiving if there were no cornbread dressing on our holiday table along side the turkey, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, cranberry fluff, or cranberry sauce.
When I was a kid the food I looked forward to the most at Thanksgiving was the cornbread dressing. The only time we had it was at Thanksgiving. So it became extra special. It was one of the few times of year that the entire family was together around one table. My Dad had time off work and did the cooking, which was another reason to look forward to Thanksgiving because he was an outstanding cook.
This recipe is a shortcut recipe for those who may not have time to make cornbread a day or two ahead of time, and let it dry out. This recipe uses a prepackaged dry cornbread stuffing mix to save time, yet it is still delicious. Be sure to buy the cornbread stuffing mix and NOT cornbread mix.
If you want to make the cornbread dressing / stuffing from scratch, just substitute my Easy Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread for the prepackaged cornbread stuffing mix and let the cornbread dry out for at least 24 hours.
I add additional seasoning to the cornbread stuffing mix, including poultry seasoning and sage, which is delicious but strong. If you are not used to the taste of sage, for the first time you make the recipe, you may want to add half the amount of sage to start out with and see how you like it. You can always add more. I would also recommend using the amount of chicken broth as a guide. Add it slowly to get the stuffing just moist enough. The chopped celery and onions give the stuffing great flavor and texture.
With what other recipes will you be serving with this Easy Cornbread Dressing?
Love this recipe? Receive FREE recipes in your inbox!
I want FREE Recipes!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Easy Cornbread Dressing
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 packages cornbread stuffing mix I use Pepperidge Farm
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped celery and onion into the skillet and cook until slightly soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Empty the bag of the cornbread stuffing mix into a large bowl.
- Pour the vegetable mixture over cornbread mixture.
- Add the chicken broth and mix well. Add additional broth if necessary to get the necessary moistness.
- Add salt, pepper, sage, and poultry seasoning.
- Pour mixture into a baking pan and bake in a preheated oven until dressing is heated through, about 30 minutes.
For more Thanksgiving Recipes, check out Flavor Mosaic’s Thanksgiving Recipe Collection.
Here is a recipe for an easy and excellent Sweet Potato Casserole.
How about adding this Homemade Green Bean Casserole to your Thanksgiving table.
How about this Pumpkin Praline Bread Pudding for dessert!