Instant Pot Beef Burgundy is similar to Beef Bourguignon with savory, tender beef, cooked with burgundy wine that tastes like it was braised for hours but cooks only for about an hour.
This hearty beef comfort food dinner with tender beef tips or stew meat in a red wine sauce with plenty of carrots and mushrooms will satisfy the hungriest of appetites and can be ready in about an hour.
Why You’ll Love Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
Whether you serve this Beef Burgundy over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or rice, this can make an easy gourmet dinner that cooks in a fraction of the time in the Instant Pot instead of cooking for 4 hours or more.
Before the Instant Pot, you may have served this Beef Burgundy, or Beef Bourguignon, for only special occasions. After all, this was the “fancy” dish that Julia Child made famous.
However, by preparing it in the Instant Pot, it can be cooked in roughly an hour, which means that you don’t have to wait for a special occasion to serve this comfort food dinner, but can have it for any dinner, whether a weeknight dinner or weekend dinner.
Why This Recipe Works
The Instant Pot makes the beef fork-tender, as has been demonstrated previously with my other Instant Pot Beef Recipes, like my 5-star rated Instant Pot Beef Stew that has been pinned over 64,000 times, as well as my Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast, and Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy. Even though it cooks for about an hour, it tastes like it was braised for hours and hours.
What Type of Beef Should Be Used in Beef Burgundy
You can use beef stew meat or beef tips, which are chunks of beef. However, if you have a chuck roast, you can cut that into chunks, like stew meat, and use that in this recipe.
What Wine Should Be Used In Beef Burgundy
The wine gives the beef a wonderfully rich flavor with a lot of depth. However, many people ask what type of wine should be used. First of all, I recommend using drinking wine instead of cooking wine for the best flavor. If you would not want to drink the wine, I don’t recommend using it in recipes.
You can use a burgundy wine, or a Merlot, or other red wine.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions if you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for each ingredient’s specific measurements, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Beef Stew Meat – Another option is to use beef tips or cut a Chuck roast into chunks.
- Salt and Pepper
- Burgundy Wine
- Beef Broth
- Cornstarch and Water
- Fresh Parsley
For the full, detailed, step by step instructions, scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card. Below are the high-level steps required.
- Sauté the Beef.
- Sauté the vegetables.
- Add the Seasoning.
- Add the wine.
- Add the broth.
- Pressure Cook.
- Use Sauté function and Thicken the gravy, if necessary.
How To Thicken Beef Burgundy
To thicken the gravy after the Beef Burgundy has pressure-cooked, turn on the Sauté function and mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water and then pour that into the Instant Pot and stir. Continue heating until the sauce or gravy is thickened.
What To Serve With Beef Burgundy
Beef Burgundy is excellent served with potatoes, rice, or pasta. Below are a few of our favorites.
- Mashed Potatoes
- Rice Pilaf
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Savory Herb Monkey Bread Rolls
- Homemade Buttermilk Cornbread
- If you don’t want to use any wine in this recipe, you can replace it with an equivalent amount of beef broth. That means instead of adding 2 cups, you would be adding about 4.5 cups of beef broth.
- To thicken the gravy, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, and add to the beef after it has finished pressure cooking. You can use the Sauté function to heat it some more to thicken the gravy.
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | BlogLovin | Instagram
Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
Instant Pot Beef Burgundy
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds beef stew meat
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small onion
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 2.5 cups (600 ml) burgundy wine
- 2 cups beef broth (reduced-sodium version recommended)
To Thicken Gravy (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
- 2 tablespoons water (optional)
- Turn the Instant Pot onto sauté mode and add in the olive oil.
- Add in the beef and season well with salt and pepper and brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pot and drain any excess grease.
- Add in butter, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and garlic and sauté until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.
- Season with paprika and mix well.
- Add in the wine, beef broth, and the beef back into the pot and stir to combine. Place the lid on the sealing position and set for 25 minutes on high pressure. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes then release any remaining pressure. Be very careful as some hot liquid may escape.
- Turn the instant pot back on sauté mode and add in the cornstarch slurry. Stir until the liquid comes to a soft boil. If the liquid is not as thick as you would like, add more cornstarch slurry until you get the desired thickness.
- Serve over mashed potatoes and garnish with fresh parsley.
- If you don't want to use any wine in this recipe, then you can replace it with an equivalent amount of beef broth. That means instead of adding 2 cups, you would be adding about 4.5 cups of beef broth.
- To thicken the gravy, mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water, and add to the beef after it has finished pressure cooking. You can use the Sauté function to heat it some more in order to thicken the gravy.
Leave a Reply