Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy with tender sirloin tips smothered in a lusciously rich brown gravy is pressure cooked in an Instant Pot for a quick and easy one-pot meal. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles for the ultimate comfort food dinner.
What Makes This Beef Tips And Gravy Recipe Unique?
Beef Tips make such a mouthwatering, hearty comfort food dinner. My Beef Tips And Rice recipe is one of the most popular on the blog. How is this Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy recipe different?
First, these beef tips are pressure cooked in an Instant Pot pressure cooker instead of being cooked in a Dutch oven. The pressure cooker uses steam to cook the beef and cooks very quickly, yet it makes the beef tips very tender and taste like they have been braised for hours.
These Beef Tips have much more gravy than my other recipe. Since the Instant Pot requires liquid to pressure cook, this is a perfect recipe to take advantage of that liquid, in this case, beef broth, and Worcestershire, in order to make a luxuriously rich brown gravy that is served over mashed potatoes instead of rice.
Furthermore, these Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy are so easy to make because the whole dish is prepared in one pot, the Instant Pot, which also pressure cooks the Beef Tips so they cook faster than other cooking methods. It also makes clean up much easier and faster.
Lastly, this recipe does not use packaged gravy mixes or canned soup. It is made from scratch.
How To Make Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy
Below is the step by step instructions for how to make this Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy recipe, followed by the step by step photo collages that show what each step looks like. As a note, I made this recipe in an Instant Pot IP-DUO60 6 Qt. Also, be sure to check how the video on How To Make Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy as well. (NOTE: Scroll down to the printable recipe card that includes more detailed instructions and specific ingredient amounts.)
- Season Beef Tips. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, dried thyme, and rosemary on all sides of the sirloin tips. (See the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for the amounts of each ingredient.)
- Saute Beef Tips And Vegetables. Press the SAUTE function and brown the beef tips in oil until they are browned on all sides. Remove the beef tips from the Instant Pot and set aside. Add the onions, red and green bell peppers, and mushrooms and saute for 3 or 4 minutes. Then add the minced garlic and cook for a minute.
- Deglaze the Inner Liner. Deglaze the pan with beef broth and Worcestershire, scraping all the bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Pressure Cook The Beef Tips And Gravy. Pressure cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 20 minutes. Then do a NATURAL RELEASE.
- Thicken The Gravy. After the Instant Pot has finished pressure cooking and has finished the natural release, remove the lid and saute the Beef Tips And Gravy for about 3 minutes or until the gravy has thickened. If you need to thicken the gravy more, then add a cornstarch slurry to thicken the gravy more. (See the printable recipe card at the bottom of the page for how to make the cornstarch slurry.)
- Serve Over Mashed Potatoes. Ladle the Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy over Mashed Potatoes to serve.
The two photo collages below show each step of how to make Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy. In addition, don’t forget to check out the video for how to make this recipe.
The next photo collage shows the next steps for how to make Instant Pot Beef Tips and Gravy.
Below is a photo of Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy after being pressure cooked.
Once the gravy is thickened, then you are ready to ladle the Beef Tips and Gravy over mashed potatoes or noodles for serving.
What To Serve With Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy
I recommend serving the Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy over mashed potatoes with a green salad and a nice glass of red wine. You could also serve over wide noodles.
Beef Tips FAQs
For more information regarding what are beef tips or what type of beef should be used for beef tips, be sure to check out my helpful tips and information in my Beef Tips and Rice recipe.
Tips For Perfect Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy
- Use the best quality of ingredients for the best results.
- I recommend using no salt or low sodium beef broth to prevent the gravy from being too salty. If you use regular beef broth then I recommend either cutting back or eliminating the salt in the recipe.
- If you like the flavor of red wine, substitute 1/4 cup of red wine for 1/4 cup of beef broth.
- Use dried thyme and dried rosemary. If you don’t have those dried herbs, then use Italian Seasoning, which is a dry spice mix, and NOT the Italian dressing mix. If you use the dressing mix, it may cause the gravy to be too salty.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, just leave them out. I do not recommend any substitute for them.
- Make the mashed potatoes on the stove while the Beef Tips and Gravy is pressure cooking in the Instant Pot.
- I don’t have an Instant Pot. How can I make this recipe? You can buy an Instant pot online. I use this one: Instant Pot IP-DUO60 6 Qt. If you don’t want to purchase one, then try making my Beef Tips and Rice recipe in a Dutch oven.
- Can I Make Beef Tips And Gravy In A Crock Pot or Slow Cooker? Yes. You would just need to brown the beef tips in a skillet before adding to the slow cooker. Dump all the ingredients in a slow cooker, after browning the beef, and then cook on high for 8 hours or low for 4 hours.
Other Comfort Food Recipes
- Instant Pot Beef Stew – If you like this recipe, then you’ll love the Instant Pot Beef Stew.
- Mexican Beef And Rice Casserole – a delicious ground beef skillet dinner loaded with Mexican beefy taco flavor and cheesy rice.
- Instant Pot Chili – is super flavorful with its homemade chili seasoning!
- Instant Pot Chicken And Dumplings – an easy one-pot comfort food meal that can be ready in 30 minutes.
- Crock Pot Chuck Roast – Comfort food at its best, made in a crockpot.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Instant Pot Beef Tips And Gravy
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into cubes
- salt and pepper to taste (see note re: salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (See note below)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary (See note below)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth (or beef stock)
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
Cornstarch Slurry (Optional)
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- Season the Sirloin steak cubes on all sides with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, and rosemary.
- Place the Inner Liner pot inside the Instant Pot. Make sure the Instant Pot is plugged in. Press the "Saute" button on the front of the Instant Pot. Wait until the display says "Hot" and then add 1 Tablespoon oil to the Inner Liner.
- Wait until the oil is hot and shimmering, then add the cubed sirloin beef tips, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes to brown the meat on that side, then turn the beef tips and brown for a minute or two on the other side. Repeat until all 4 sides are brown.
- Remove the beef tips from the Instant Pot and place on a plate. Set aside until ready to add back in the Instant Pot.
- Add the sliced onions, red and green bell peppers, and mushrooms (optional), to the inner liner and cook for about 3 minutes until they are soft, stirring occasionally. Then add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute. DO NOT OVERCOOK or the garlic will burn.
- Press the CANCEL button on the front of the Instant Pot to stop the sauté function.Then add 2 cups beef broth and 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire to deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef tips back into the Instant Pot and stir. Close the lid on the Instant Pot. (Turn the lid clockwise until it clicks into place. The arrows should align.) Turn the Steam Release Valve on top of the Instant Pot to the Sealing position.
- Press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button (depends on the model) and adjust the time to 20 minutes on HIGH PRESSURE. (Note it will take time, maybe 10 minutes, for the Instant Pot to come up to pressure before it starts to pressure cook. During this time, the Instant Pot will show "On" on the display instead of the countdown of the time. After it has come up to pressure, the display will change to the timer and will countdown from the specified amount of time, 20 minutes in this case.)
- After the Instant Pot has finished pressure cooking, let the Instant Pot do a NATURAL RELEASE, this means the Instant Pot releases pressure naturally, and you do nothing. After the float valve (the pin) has dropped, it is safe to open the lid.
- Press CANCEL to stop the pressure cooking and then press SAUTE to cook the Beef Tips And Gravy a few minutes more to thicken the sauce.
- If you need to thicken the sauce more, then mix 2 Tablespoons water with 2 Tablespoons cornstarch to create a slurry, and pour that into the Beef Tips And Gravy. Stir until the gravy is thickened. Then ladle the Beef Tips and Gravy over mashed potatoes on serving plates. Enjoy!
- I used the Instant Pot IP-DUO60 6 Qt to make this recipe.
- Use dried thyme and dried rosemary. If you don't have those dried herbs, then use Italian Seasoning, which is a dry spice mix, and NOT the Italian dressing mix. If you use the dressing mix, it may cause the gravy to be too salty.
- When browning the beef tips, you are not cooking the meat all the way through, you only want to brown the edges of the beef tips. For best results do not stir the meat. Only turn the beef tips when required to brown another side.
- Watch the garlic carefully, it can go from perfect to burned very quickly. Sauté only for about one minute.
- I recommend using no salt or low sodium beef broth or beef stock to prevent the gravy from being too salty.
- If you use regular beef broth then I recommend either cutting back or eliminating the salt in the recipe.
- If you like the flavor of red wine, substitute 1/4 cup of red wine for 1/4 cup of beef broth.
- IMPORTANT: Scrape the bottom of the inner liner. This helps to prevent receiving a "Burn" warning from the Instant Pot. It also adds more flavor to the gravy.
- If you don't like mushrooms, just leave them out. I do not recommend any substitute for them.
- The Cornstarch Slurry is optional. The purpose of it is to thicken the gravy if it is too thin.
- Make the mashed potatoes while the Beef Tips and Gravy is pressure cooking in the Instant Pot.