Taco Lasagna is a traditional lasagna casserole with lasagna noodles but adds Mexican taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, and Mexican and Cheddar cheese that is sure to be a family favorite.
Who doesn’t love lasagna? I think it must be one of the most popular recipes in the world.
With this recipe, I give traditional lasagna a Mexican twist to turn it into Taco Lasagna by adding taco seasoning, enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes and green chilies, and a Mexican blend of shredded cheese.
While some Taco Lasagna recipes use tortillas, I like the texture and consistency of the lasagna noodles in a lasagna dish. It keeps some of the traditional Italian flair while combining it with Mexican taco seasoning.
How to Make Taco Lasagna
Brown ground beef and Italian Sausage with chopped onions and garlic.
When the meat is browned, add the salt, pepper, and taco seasoning.
If you want to better control the seasoning, I recommend using a homemade taco seasoning recipe instead of a store-bought package.
How to Make the Meat Sauce for Taco Lasagna
To make the meat sauce, add a couple of cans of enchilada seasoning, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and chilies to the meat mixture.
Scroll down to see detailed printable instructions below for the specific ingredient amounts.
Now you let the meat sauce for the Taco Lasagna simmer on low for about 20 minutes to let the magic happen to allow all the flavors and seasonings to blend together and fully develop the flavor of the sauce.
How To Make the Filling for Taco Lasagna
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix together ricotta cheese and an egg.
Regular Lasagna Noodles or No Boil Lasagna Noodles
Boil the lasagna noodles in hot boiling water. You could use No Boil Lasagna noodles as well if you prefer.
How To Assemble the Taco Lasagna
To assemble the Taco Lasagna, spoon in 1/2 cup of the meat sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan or 9×13 baking dish.
Next start layering the ingredients of your Taco Lasagna.
After the sauce, layer 3 to 4 lasagna noodles, then top with a layer of the ricotta cheese mixture, then top with the Mexican Blend shredded cheese, another layer of lasagna noodles, and then top with the meat sauce and repeat the whole process again.
Again, scroll down to see the printable recipe with the specific amounts of ingredients.
Once you finish the second round of layers for this Taco Lasagna, sprinkle on more shredded Mexican Blend cheese to make it extra cheesy!
If you like, sprinkle some chopped fresh cilantro over the top.
How Long Do I Bake The Taco Lasagna
Bake the Taco Lasagna in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F. until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is heated through.
How to Garnish the Top of the Taco Lasagna
For this cheesy Taco Lasagna, you could also top it with:
- Sour cream
- Chopped avocados
- Pico de Gallo (Chopped Tomatoes, Onions, and Jalapenos)
For me, it is perfect as is. Add a salad and you have a complete meal that the whole family will love.
What To Serve With This Taco Lasagna
- Green Salad, such as this Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad.
- Garlic Bread or Savory Herb Monkey Bread Rolls.
- Olive Oil with herbs (for dipping the bread)
- Soup, such as Minestrone, or Pasta e Fagioli, or Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup.
- Antipasto Plate, with cheese, olives, and marinated roasted red peppers.
- Roasted Vegetables, such as roasted asparagus or roasted cauliflower.
There is nothing better than the layers of this creamy, cheesy, hearty Taco Lasagna. Give it a try. Your family will thank you for it!
If you want more information on how to make this Taco Lasagna, check out the video above.
For other recipe ideas, check out these recipes.
Ground Beef Stroganoff – This easy 30-minute recipe omits the cream of mushroom soup and uses ground beef for an awesome comfort food dinner!
Baked Ziti – A delicious, make-ahead dish that is budget friendly and can really feed a crowd, making it perfect for large gatherings or potlucks.
Cheesy Tortellini Skillet Lasagna – perfect when you want lasagna but don’t have the time to make it from scratch. By using tortellini, this one-pot tortellini lasagna can be ready in 20 minutes!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound Italian sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning (or 1 Package Store Bought Taco Seasoning)
- 2 14-ounce cans red enchilada sauce
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 10.5 ounce can diced tomatoes and chilies
- 1 package lasagna noodles
- 1 16-ounce package ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 cups shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the sausage and ground beef.
- Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and cook with the beef mixture.
- Add the taco seasoning and salt and pepper and stir.
- After the beef and sausage is browned, add the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes and chilies.
- Let the meat sauce simmer on low.
- In a separate pan over high heat bring water to a boil. Add lasagna noodles and cook per package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the ricotta cheese and egg. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- To assemble the lasagna, spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce on the bottom of a lasagna pan.
- Layer 3 - 4 lasagna noodles over the meat sauce.
- Spread 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the lasagna noodles.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese.
- Spoon half of the meat sauce over the top. Spread evenly.
- Repeat layers.
- Top with meat sauce and shredded Mexican cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 - 30 minutes until the lasagna is heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes before serving.
- You can use a Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe or use a store bought package of taco seasoning
Be sure to pin this recipe to save for later.
For a faster, simpler taste of lasagna try this Easy Lasagna Soup!