Strawberry Mini Pavlova is an egg white meringue pavlova dessert that is topped with strawberries and is soft and pillowy on the inside and crisp on the outside.
One bite of this sweet, crispy, creamy meringue dessert with strawberries and you’ll agree that this is the best pavlova recipe! Topped with strawberries, and it is one of the lightest summer Strawberry Desserts ever! While I love my Strawberry Crumb Bars, and Strawberry Cheesecake Salad, I love the light, pillowy, marshmallow-like pavlova dessert.
What Is Pavlova?
Pavlova is an egg-white meringue dessert that is crisp on the outside and marshmallow-like on the inside. According to Wikipedia, Pavlova is believed to have been created in Australia in honor of Russian ballerina, Anna Pavlova, during one of her tours through Australia or New Zealand in the 1920s. However, New Zealand also claims this dessert as their own.
Why You’ll Love Strawberry Mini Pavlova
Pavlova is a beautiful, show stopping, light and airy, cloud-like dessert that is crisp on the outside and soft and marshmallow like on the inside. Top it with whipped cream and fresh strawberries and it is a dressy dessert for any special occasion.
I first had Pavlova at a 30th anniversary party of my friend’s parents years ago. It was beautiful and so light that I knew I would have to make it. I have since made it a several times now and it is a hit every time.
There are just a few things that you need to be aware of when you make this beautiful dessert.
What Do I Need To Know Before Making Pavlova?
The weather conditions, inside and outside, matter when you make a pavlova. If it is humid outside, or inside, the meringue will not set properly. Therefore, if it is a rainy day, or very humid, it is probably not a good day to make these mini pavlovas.
Plan ahead because you are going to need at least 7 hours to make this dish, 6 of which are for cooling the pavlova.
How To Make Pavlova
Note: For complete, detailed instructions with specified ingredient amounts, scroll down to the printable recipe card located at the bottom of the post, just above the comments.
- Beat The Egg Whites with salt until it has soft peaks.
- Add Powdered Sugar one tablespoon at a time and beat the egg whites until they become glossy and bright white. Fold In Cornstarch, Vanilla and Vinegar.
- Spoon The Pavlova onto the sheet pan covered in parchment paper.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 225 degrees F.
- Slowly Cool The Pavlova. Without opening the oven door, turn the oven off and let it cool for 6 hours.
- Serve. Top with a dollop of whipped cream and several sliced strawberries just before serving.
- Don’t Make On Rainy Days. Check the weather forecast for the day you want to make these mini pavlovas. If it is rainy, or if there is high humidity, plan to make them on a drier day. If it is too humid these mini pavlova may not set.
- Try Not To Overbeat the Egg Whites. If you overbeat the eggs, then the pavlova could crack during baking or even collapse.
- Use Parchment Paper. Line the sheet pan with parchment paper to make it easier to remove the pavlova after 6 hours of cooling.
- Low Heat. That is no typo in the recipe. You’ll preheat your oven to 225 degrees F. The low heat will help the pavlova get that wonderful texture.
- Long Cooling Time. This is key! DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR! Turn off the heat and leave the pavlova in the oven for 6 hours to very slowly cool. Do NOT take them out of the oven to cool. That will cause them to cool too quickly.
What To Serve With Pavlova?
Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on top and sliced fresh strawberries for a beautiful presentation.
Variations of Pavlova
However, while we love these mini pavlova served with whipped cream and strawberries, here are some ideas for variations the next time you want to make pavlova. Try changing the toppings to one of the toppings below.
- Lemon Curd
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Make Strawberry Mini Pavlova ahead of time?
- Yes. You can make ahead of time, up to 24 hours ahead of time, and store in an airtight container. Do NOT refrigerate.
- Can I Freeze Pavlova?
- I don’t recommend freezing pavlova. It will not maintain its texture.
More Strawberry Desserts.
- Strawberry Ice Cream – A sweet and creamy, no churn strawberry ice cream that is perfect for summer.
- Strawberry Mousse – A light and delicious strawberry treat for the summer!
- Strawberry Pretzel Mini Parfait are individual mini strawberry pretzel dessert parfaits.
- Strawberry Margarita Pie – Strawberry Margarita Pie is an easy freezer dessert, made with a pretzel crust, and a smooth and creamy strawberry filling that is like ice cream but it’s a pie instead.
- Strawberry Upside Down Cake, like a pineapple upside down cake except with sliced strawberries, makes a beautiful presentation yet is easy to make
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Strawberry Mini Pavlova
- 4 large eggs
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 dollops whipped cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 225°F. Line a large sheet tray with parchment paper, set aside.
- In the body of a stand mixer add the egg whites and the salt. Mix on medium speed until soft peaks form about 5 minutes. Add the powdered sugar one tablespoon at a time to the bowl, scraping down the sides as needed. Turn the speed onto medium-high and whip until stiff peaks form, the egg white will become glossy and bright white, about 5-8 minutes. Fold in the cornstarch, vinegar, and vanilla until fully mixed.
- Place six even dollops of the meringue onto the sheet tray about 3 inches apart. Slightly flatten them out until they are an inch and a half high, make a little divet in the center, this is where your toppings will sit.
- Place in the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Without opening the oven, turn off the heat and let cool down completely. This will take about 6 hours. Use immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.
- Top with whipped cream and strawberries just before serving.