Instant Pot Pork Ribs, such as baby back ribs, are tender and flavorful on the inside, with an amazing BBQ spice rub, yet have the caramelized sweet, tangy, and smoky BBQ sauce on the outside.
These Instant Pot Pork Ribs, which can be baby back ribs or spare ribs, are so delicious your guests will think you slaved away over a smoker or BBQ pit for hours. Don’t have hours to spend or don’t have a smoker or grill, then don’t worry. All you need is your Instant Pot to make the best tasting, lip smacking ribs!
Like my other Instant Pot Recipes, these ribs cook up much faster but yet remain tender and juicy. Then all you have to do it put them under the broiler for a few minutes with some sauce and watch that caramelization occur. It is glorious. While I love my Slow Cooker Country Style Boneless Ribs, when I don’t have the time or just can’t wait, I can count on these Instant Pot Ribs.
I tested making ribs in the Instant Pot with 3 slightly different recipes, and this one was my favorite! I think you’ll love them too! The sticky, smoky, sweet ribs will have you eating with your hands. Just bring out lots of napkins!
What Do I Need To Make Instant Pot Pork Ribs?
Below is a list of ingredients, and possible substititions, that you will need in order to make this recipe. For the complete list with the amounts of each ingredient, scroll down to the printable recipe card below. Don’t skip the BBQ rub as that gives the ribs so much flavor.
Instant Pot Pork Ribs
- Pork Ribs. You can use either baby back ribs or spare ribs.
- Chicken Broth. You can also use water as well. The main thing is to have a thin liquid at the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Apple Juice. This adds a bit of sweetness and depth to the recipe.
- Worcestershire. I like to add this again to add a little more complex flavor and smokiness.
- Liquid Smoke. If you like, add liquid smoke to give it a more smoky flavor, you can do that. This is optional.
- Barbecue Sauce. Use your favorite BBQ Sauce. I like Sweet Baby Rays or Stubbs Barbecue Sauce.
- Brown Sugar
- Black Pepper
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Ground Mustard
How To Make Instant Pot Pork Ribs or Baby Back Ribs
- Make the BBQ Rub. In a small bowl stir together all the spices for the Instant Pot ribs.
- Prepare The Ribs by removing the white membrane on the bone-side of the ribs. Most grocery stores will remove this for you, but if your ribs have the membrane, go ahead and remove it.
- Spread the rub on the ribs and then place the ribs in a semi-circle inside the Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
- Pressure Cook The Ribs. It only takes 25 minutes on High Pressure to cook baby back ribs, and 35 minutes for larger ribs.
- Slather BBQ Sauce Over Ribs. Brush your favorite barbecue sauce over both sides of the ribs. You can make your own barbecue sauce or use your favorite store bought barbecue sauce.
- Broil The Ribs for 3 to 5 minutes under a broiler until the sauce caramelizes and just starts to char. (Be careful not to overcook. So it is best to stay close to keep an eye on the ribs so they don’t get overdone.)
What To Serve With Instant Pot Pork Ribs or Baby Back Ribs
I think anything goes with ribs. However, below are a few of our favorite sides to serve at a barbecue.
- Instant Pot Corn On The Cob
- Cajun Honey Jalapeno Slaw
- Mexican Cabbage Slaw
- Texas Barbecue Loaded Potato Salad
Can I Cook Frozen Ribs In The Instant Pot?
- Yes! Follow the instructions in the recipe card below, place the frozen ribs in the Instant Pot and add an additional 15 minutes to the cooking time.
Go ahead and try the Instant Pot Ribs and leave a rating and comment to let me know how you liked them!
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Instant Pot Pork Ribs (Baby Back Ribs)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
Instant Pot Ribs (Pork Ribs, Baby Back Ribs, Spare RIbs)
- 1 rack pork ribs (baby back ribs or spare ribs)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (recommend low sodium broth)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke (optional)
- Stir all the ingredients under BBQ Rub into a smal bowl.
- Sprinkle the rub over both sides of the ribs and rub the spice mix all over the ribs.
- Place the ribs in the pressure cooker forming a semi circle with the meaty side facing the outside of the pot. Place the lid on the pressure cooker and move the valve to the SEALING position. Pressure cook baby back ribs on high pressure for 25 minutes and spare ribs for 35 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release pressure naturally for 15 minutes (you don't do anything), and then move the pressure release valve to the VENTING position to do a quick release of any remaining pressure. After the pressure cooker has released all the pressure and the pin has dropped, open the lid and remove the ribs to an oven safe pan.
- Brush the ribs with your favorite barbecue sauce and place the ribs under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce has caramelized and the outside just starts to char.
- Remove ribs from the oven and let them rest for about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with extra barbecue sauce and your favorite barbecue sides.