Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw is a light and refreshing vinegar-based cole slaw, with no mayonnaise, but sweetened with honey, and spiced with cajun seasoning, worcestershire, and hot sauce. Makes a great side dish for a barbecue, picnic, or pot luck.
With the warmer weather, we are eating more barbecue and having picnics, and this Cajun Honey Lime Jalapeño Slaw is a perfect side dish for both. It is cool, light, and refreshing, yet has a little kick. There is no mayonnaise so it is perfect for a picnic.
I served this Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw to my toughest critic….my Mother-in-Law. She said it was the best slaw she has ever eaten in her life! She ate it as a side dish to barbecue chicken, and I made a chicken taco and added the slaw as a topping to the taco.
Like all slaws this Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator. It gives the flavors time to develop and it becomes much more flavorful. However, beware because it also gets spicier the longer it sits. So you may need to reduce the amount of minced jalapeño, cajun seasoning, and hot sauce if you are not going to serve it until the next day.
Depending on how sweet you want your Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw, you could increase the honey to make it sweeter, or decrease it if you want it tangier or spicier.
What will you serve with your Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw?
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out our Crack Slaw Recipe with ground beef and Cole slaw with an Asian sauce.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Cajun Seasoning (try the Cajun Blackening Seasoning Mix)
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 package cole slaw mix (or broccoli slaw mix)
- 1 jalapeño (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Whisk first six ingredients in a bowl in a large bowl to make a vinaigrette.
- Add the cole slaw package to the vinaigrette.
- Add the minced jalapeño, and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss until combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Try serving this Cajun Honey Jalapeño Slaw with my Dr Pepper Maple Mustard Chipotle BBQ Chicken.
The slaw will also go well with my Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin.