This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
These Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas, made with Mission® Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas, are stuffed with spicy chicken, cheese, sour cream, and green chiles, and are perfect when I crave Mexican food but don’t want to blow out my carbs.
Unlike my Empanadas De Pollo AKA Chicken Empanadas, these empanadas are made with low carb flour tortillas.
How To Reduce Net Carbs in Mexican Food?
It is that age-old struggle. I want to eat better, but I want to like what I eat. Living in Texas, with an abundance of Tex-Mex and Mexican food close by, it almost seems impossible to eat a wholesome diet yet still enjoy my favorite Tex-Mex or Mexican food.
When David and I first got married years ago, I did not cook … at all. After eating out for many of our meals every week, often at Mexican restaurants, and spending lots of money and gaining weight, I finally decided that both our waistlines and our wallets needed us to eat out less frequently and start cooking at home more.
I learned to cook by looking up recipes online and reading reviews from others about what worked and what didn’t. I also learned how to substitute better-for-you ingredients in my recipes to help both David and me eat better. This often helped lower the carbs and calories in a recipe.
That is why I was so excited to learn about Mission Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas because they have zero sugar, are an excellent source of fiber, and contain only 6g of net carbs per serving. They are a perfect solution to lower net carbs in your Mexican food recipes for you to enjoy them with your family and friends.
David and I both like that the flour tortillas are soft and delicious. It is so refreshing to realize that we don’t have to sacrifice quality and taste for dietary restriction. Be sure to check out the Mission Carb Balance website to find a store near you and to check out lower carb recipes! You can never have too many recipes.
What Are The Ingredients For Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas?
With only six ingredients, these Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas are not only delicious but easy to make.
All you need are these ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
- Mission® Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas
- Shredded chicken (Rotisserie Chicken is ok to use.)
- Taco Seasoning
- Green Chiles
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Mexican-blend Cheese
How Do You Make Baked Green Chile Chicken Chile Empanadas?
Start by shredding a large chicken breast (or two) so that you have two cups of shredded chicken.
Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the shredded chicken and stir so that the chicken is evenly covered in the taco seasoning.
Then in a medium bowl, combine the seasoned chicken with green chiles, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Stir all ingredients together until all are evenly distributed.
Brush the Mission Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas with an egg wash.
Then use an ice cream scooper to scoop the green chile chicken filling onto each tortilla.
Sprinkle cheese on top of the green chile chicken filling.
Fold the other half of the tortilla on top of the green chile chicken filling and press the edges with a fork.
Brush the tortillas with the egg wash.
Cut slits into the top of the tortillas.
Bake the Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F. See the printable recipe below for more details.
What To Serve with Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas?
For a lower carb Mexican dinner, try serving these Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas with Mexican Cauliflower Rice and spinach and Pico De Gallo.
It is now your turn to make these delicious Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas. Be sure to visit the Mission website to find a store near you and check out their other recipes.
What will you serve with your Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas made with Mission Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas?
Baked Green Chile Chicken Empanadas
- 8 Mission® Carb Balance Soft Flour Tortillas
- 2 cups shredded chicken (Rotisserie Chicken is ok to use.)
- 1 teaspoon Taco Seasoning
- 1 4-ounce can green chiles
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend cheese , divided
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add two cups of shredded chicken. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and stir so chicken is evenly covered with taco seasoning.
- In the bowl with the chicken, add the green chiles, sour cream, and ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Stir all ingredients together until all are evenly distributed.
- In a small bowl, add one egg and a tablespoon water and stir.
- Lay the flour tortillas out flat on the parchment paper on the sheet pan. (You may have to do this in 2 batches.)
- Brush the edges of each tortilla with the egg wash.
- Using an ice cream scooper or large spoon, spoon ¼ cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon shredded cheese over the top of the chicken on each tortilla. Repeat for each tortilla.
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over the top of the chicken and cheese. Repeat for each empanada.
- Brush each empanada with the egg wash.
- Make 3 slits in the top of each empanada.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve hot.