My first recipe as part of the AllRecipes.com Sunday Supper movement is Quick and Easy Chicken Posole. As an AllRecipes.com Allstar, we were asked to select a recipe from their healthy MyPlate recipe collection. After reviewing the recipes, I saw the Quick and Easy 20-Minute Chicken Posole, which happened to be very similar to my own Chicken Posole recipe.
So following the guidelines from my first Sunday Supper post to make a simple family favorite, I made my Quick and Easy Chicken Posole, which is a favorite of ours, for our Sunday supper. It is so quick and easy to make and the spicy chicken sausage, salsa and Mexican spices make it super flavorful. Served with cornbread on the side, my husband and Mother-in-Law were happy campers, while we watched the football game. Even though we were not happy with the outcome of the game, everyone was happy with the meal. Trust me, keeping both of them happy, makes me very happy!
Try this recipe for your Sunday Supper and make your family happy! Enjoy!
- 12 ounces fully cooked Spicy chicken sausage (such as Al Fresco)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves of garlic)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican oregano, but regular will be fine)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- ½ (16-oz) jar (or 1 cup) green salsa or 1 cup of Herdez Tomatillo Verde Mexican Cooking Sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilis
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white hominy, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Slice the sausage into thin slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Place the sausage in a large skillet and cook for about two minutes on each side until browned.
- Add the chopped onions into the skillet and cook about 5 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic to the sausage and onions and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the sausage, onions, garlic and remaining ingredients into a large slow cooker.
- Cook on low for about 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro or any of your favorite toppings.
Looking for more? Try these delicious recipes: