Pumpkin Fluff is an easy, no-bake pumpkin dessert dip, made with only five ingredients, and is perfect to serve for a Fall party or holiday dinner.
Fall has wonderful seasonal flavors, such as pumpkin, apples, and pears. However, Fall is also one of the busiest times of the year with back to school for the kids and lots of activities. Therefore, there is not always time to bake my favorite Fall desserts, especially pumpkin desserts, such as Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Bread, Pumpkin Flan, or Pumpkin Muffins.
Table of Contents
When you don’t have time to bake but want to serve a delicious pumpkin dessert, then make this easy Pumpkin Fluff. You likely already have several, if not most, of the ingredients on hand in the pantry or the fridge, and you can whip it together in no time.
My husband does not like pumpkin pie, and because of that, over the years I have made many non-traditional pumpkin desserts, like Pumpkin Praline Bread Pudding, Pumpkin Eggnog Thumbprint Cookies, Pumpkin Tres Leches, and Pumpkin Magic Bars. Now I’m sharing with you another non-traditional pumpkin dessert, Pumpkin Fluff.
This sweet and creamy Pumpkin Fluff makes a delightful pumpkin dip or pumpkin Cool Whip dessert, with fall flavors, that can be served in the center of your serving tray with Gingersnaps, graham crackers, apples, or your favorite cookies.
What Do I Need To Make Pumpkin Fluff
You will need only 5-ingredients, some of which you probably already have in your pantry or refrigerator.
- Pumpkin. You will need a 15-ounce can of pumpkin puree. It is important to make sure it is pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. The pumpkin pie filling will not work in this dessert. Be sure to check the label carefully to select the right one.
- Instant Vanilla Pudding. Use the smaller pudding package, the 3.4-ounce package, of vanilla pudding. In addition, make sure that it is the Instant pudding version, and not the cook and serve. This is supposed to be a no bake dessert so we don’t want to require any cooking.
- Whipped Topping. You will need an 8-ounce package of frozen whipped topping, like Cool Whip, that has been thawed out. It is important that it is NOT frozen because otherwise the Pumpkin Fluff will not be creamy or fluffy. You can’t have a non-fluffy “fluff” because then it would no longer qualify as a “Fluff.”
- Pumpkin Pie Spice. The Pumpkin Pie Spice is a spice blend or spice mix that can be found on the spice aisle. See the next section for a substitute if you don’t want to buy a pre-made spice mix.
- Mini Marshmallows. Mini Marshmallows just make everything more fun. It gives the Pumpkin Fluff more volume and texture. If you don’t have mini marshmallows, then don’t worry. You can leave it out and the Pumpkin Fluff will still be delicious, and still qualify as Fluff.
What Can I Substitute For Pumpkin Pie Spice?
If you don’t have Pumpkin Pie Spice on hand and don’t want to run to the grocery store to buy it, you can easily make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice with a handful of spices that you likely have in your pantry or spice rack. You will need the following spices.
- 2 teaspoons Cinnamon.
- 1 teaspoon Ginger
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon Cloves
Stir all the spices together in a bowl and then you are ready to use the Pumpkin Pie Spice immediately or you can store it in an airtight container to use it for later.
This makes about 4 teaspoons of Pumpkin Pie Spice or enough to make this recipe and a Pumpkin Pie, or Pumpkin Crunch Cake, or Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies, Air Fryer Pumpkin Spice Crullers, or Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread.
How To Make Pumpkin Fluff
In addition to the How To Make Pumpkin Fluff video, high level instructions for how to make Pumpkin Fluff are included below, followed by a photo collage showing each step of the process.
- Empty one can of pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice, one small package of instant pudding, and one thawed package of whipped topping in a bowl. (NOTE: Scroll down to the printable recipe card at the bottom of the blog post to see the specific amounts for each ingredient.)
- Stir all ingredients together.
- Add in the mini marshmallows. (NOTE: This is optional. If you don’t have mini marshmallows, just leave them out.)
- Top with extra whipped topping and a sprinkle of cinnamon to serve. (Optional)
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
For more specific information regarding how to make Pumpkin Fluff, scroll to the bottom of this blog post for a detailed, printable recipe card that includes detailed step by step instructions with specific ingredient amounts.
What To Serve With Pumpkin Fluff
If you are wondering what to dip in this Pumpkin Fluff dip, then you have come to the right place. Below are a few of my favorites foods that pair well with pumpkin, and can be dipped into Pumpkin Fluff.
- Graham crackers
- Sliced apples
- Can I make Pumpkin Fluff ahead of time? Yes. You can make this recipe ahead and time and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can I substitute light or fat free versions of the Instant Pudding and whipped topping? Yes. you can use sugar free Instant Pudding and light or fat free whipped topping.
- Can I use real pumpkin instead of canned pumpkin? If you have made pumpkin puree from real pumpkin then yes you can use it instead of canned pumpkin. Use an equal amount, 15-ounces or just under 2 cups, of pumpkin puree.
- What if I don’t have (or don’t like) marshmallows? Just leave out the marshmallows. It will still be delicious.
More Fluff Recipes
If you like this Pumpkin Fluff recipe, then be sure to try these other Fluff recipes.
- Cranberry Fluff – Made with fresh cranberries, this Cranberry Fluff makes a delicious cranberry salad, side dish, or dessert for a Thanksgiving or Christmas holiday dinner.
- Watergate Salad – This Watergate Salad, also known as Pistachio Fluff or Green Fluff, can be a side salad or dessert salad made with pistachio pudding, whipped topping, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, pecans, and coconut.
- Snicker Apple Salad – A delicious Fall dessert salad with chopped apples, candy bars, whipped cream, and chocolate syrup.
- Oreo Fluff – A sweet and creamy no bake dessert salad with only 5 ingredients!
- Strawberry Cheesecake Salad – This Strawberry Cheesecake Salad is like a strawberry cheesecake in a bowl and makes a delicious and easy no bake dessert.
- Berry Cheesecake Salad – This easy Berry Cheesecake Salad is a sweet and creamy, patriotic, red, white and blue dessert salad that requires no baking.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
- In a large bowl, add the thawed 8-ounce package of whipped topping (like Cool Whip), 15-ounces of canned pumpkin puree, and 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice.
- Empty the dry contents of the 3.4-ounce package of Instant Vanilla Pudding and stir until everything is well combined.
- Fold in 1-1/2 cups of mini marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are evenly distributed throughout the pumpkin fluff dip.
- Serve in a bowl with graham crackers, Gingersnaps, or apple slices to use as dippers.
- For a nice presentation, add a dollop of whipped topping on top of the Pumpkin Fluff and sprinkle with cinnamon just before serving.
- Be sure to buy pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. That is very important for this recipe to work.
- Be sure to use the small package of instant pudding, which is 3.4 ounces. If you don’t want to use vanilla instant pudding, cheesecake pudding works well also.
- If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, then see the blog post above for a substitute for it. You can easily make your own pumpkin pie spice to use in this recipe.
- It is very important that the whipped topping be thawed out. Frozen whipped topping won’t work. Be sure to plan ahead to give yourself time to thaw out the whipped topping.
- If you don’t have mini marshmallows, then leave them out of the recipe. There is no need to substitute anything else.