Free up your oven for other tasty recipes by cooking this buttery Turkey Breast in the Instant Pot! Made with fresh herbs, garlic, and a smooth savory delicious gravy to coat the tender and juicy turkey breast, serve this mouthwatering entrée during your favorite holiday dinner!
Whether you’re making your turkey straight from the freezer this year or thawing it beforehand, this Instant Pot Turkey Breast recipe covers both options!
In addition to an incredibly easy recipe for the turkey, this recipe also teaches you the basics to create the perfect turkey gravy to serve alongside your favorite Thanksgiving Dinner recipes.
Cooking a whole Thanksgiving Turkey, like my Roasted Turkey recipe, requires some planning and preparation – especially if you are not cooking for a crowd.
I love to cook this turkey breast in the pressure cooker because it’s quick, minimal, goes great with stuffing, and yields a tender turkey breast for the best results every time. Of all my Instant Pot recipes, this is my favorite for Thanksgiving.
This turkey dinner is not only delicious for Thanksgiving, but it is also perfect if you want an easy, no-fuss weeknight dinner.
After trying this recipe, I predict that it will become your favorite way to cook turkey and that you will want to add this to your list of go-to turkey recipes. In my opinion, it is the best way to cook the juiciest turkey breast.
Flavors of fresh rosemary, thyme, sage, salt, and more come together to create succulent flavors that are balanced with a robust gravy made from the turkey drippings.
- Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Why This Recipe Works
- What You’ll Need
- How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
- How to Make Instant Pot Gravy
- Important Notes
- What to Serve with Instant Pot Turkey with Rosemary
- Pro Recipe Tips
- What To Make With Leftover Turkey Breast?
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- More Recipes You’ll Love
- ⭐ Reviews
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Quick. With little steps and preparation, you will have your very own turkey breast ready to be enjoyed! Since we’re just cooking a turkey breast here, it doesn’t take nearly as long, and if cooking from frozen, you can have the turkey on the dinner table in a fraction of the time that it would take to thaw it and then cook it.
Easy. Basic steps and ingredients are used for this turkey in the Instant Pot. Cooks of all levels will be able to prepare this wholesome meal!
Perfectly Tender. Cooked to perfection with a crispy exterior, this turkey breast is tender, easy to bite into, and perfectly juicy. I love cooking turkey in the Instant Pot way more than in the oven!
Versatile. Feel free to switch the sizes up for your turkey or even prepare a whole turkey in the Instant Pot. I have included instructions for different sizes of turkey so be sure to read below to discover more techniques!
Family-Friendly. This recipe is perfect for all ages and great for pairing with an array of foods anyone will enjoy. Serve this turkey breast plain or top it with gravy and cranberry sauce for even more flavor.
Instant Pot Turkey Gravy. Not only does this recipe give you the juiciest turkey breast, but you also get an amazing turkey gravy to go with it, as well as your other Thanksgiving side dishes like mashed potatoes.
Why This Recipe Works
Fresh Herbs. I use fresh herbs in this recipe so the turkey breast can absorb all of the aromatics. If you’re wanting a turkey that is full of fresh flavors, then fresh herbs are the way to go.
Homemade Gravy. Rather than creating a roux from flavored ingredients, I create the gravy straight from the turkey drippings which means the gravy is just the right consistency and full of savoriness.
Covers Thawed and Frozen. For this recipe, I include instructions for both and thawed and frozen turkey breast. This recipe will work whether your turkey breast is frozen or defrosted!
Holiday Entree. This pressure cooker turkey breast recipe is great to serve during the holidays whenever you’re in need of the main protein to go with your favorite side dishes. Serve this recipe for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, etc.
Turkey Leftovers. The leftovers are great for sandwiches. Just slice the turkey into slices and prepare it with your favorite bread, rolls, etc. In addition, I include ideas for other recipes that use leftover turkey.
What You’ll Need
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product, which does not increase the price.
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker – This popular Duo 7-in-1 Instant Pot is an extremely highly rated Instant Pot model and is the same model that I own.
- Small Bowl – This set of small bowls is practical for everyday use and for recipe preparation as well as for serving bowls.
- Gravy Boat – This simple white porcelain gravy boat is a highly rated popular option.
- Ladle – This stainless steel ladle is a popular brand with thousands of ratings.
- Serving Platter – This highly rated set of large, white serving platters are perfect for both casual and fancy dinners yet very reasonably priced.
Below, I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions if you don’t have a specific ingredient. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
Turkey Breast. For this recipe, I used a four-pound thawed turkey breast. If your turkey is not thawed, do not worry! You can easily prepare this recipe from frozen–it just takes a little extra time! Keep reading.
Butter. Softened butter is used to coat the turkey breast in a buttery layer. The butter adds extra juiciness and flavor to the recipe, but you can also use your choice of oil.
Herbs. I like to use a variety of fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary, and thyme. You can never go wrong with these fragrant ingredients especially whenever you’re preparing a turkey.
Seasoning. You will need whole or pre-minced garlic cloves in addition to salt and pepper. Smoked paprika is optional but highly encouraged for this recipe.
Chicken Broth. Savory chicken breath allows this turkey breast to remain juicy and easy to cut into. Feel free to make your own chicken broth or use your favorite store-bought brand.
For the Gravy
Turkey Drippings. Be sure to save those drippings because you will definitely need them to make sure the gravy is up to par with flavor.
Chicken Broth. Use the rest of the chicken broth for the gravy to create the perfect consistency.
Butter. Either unsalted or salted butter works for the gravy. The fats from the drippings and butter come together and deliver a gravy that is bold and great for almost anything.
Flour. I like to use all-purpose flour because it is easy to work with and creates the perfect roux. You don’t need a lot of flour, just a little bit!
How to Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
See the recipe card below for more detailed instructions.
- First, remove the turkey from the packaging and any other item from the cavity of the turkey breast. Be sure to fully check if you’ve removed everything from the cavity by moving your hand around it.
- Carefully pour the broth into the pan.
- Next, place the trivet into the Instant Pot and set the turkey on the trivet.
- Combine the softened butter, chopped rosemary, sage, thyme, smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the butter mixture all over the outside of the turkey breast. Be sure to cover the entire surface.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and set the seal. Cook the turkey breast six minutes per pound with ten minutes of natural pressure release. If your thawed turkey breast is five pounds, then you will cook for 30 minutes plus ten minutes of natural pressure release.
- Allow the pressure cooker to naturally release, then, carefully, remove the lid.
- Remove the turkey and allow it to rest for ten minutes before slicing.
How to Make Instant Pot Gravy
- Pour the turkey drippings into a bowl and add enough chicken broth to make 2 ½ cups of liquid.
- Next, place the butter in the Instant Pot and set it to the Sauté mode.
- Whisk all the all-purpose flour into the melted butter into the Instant Pot and cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly, add the turkey drippings and broth back into the pan while continuously whisking to keep clumps from forming.
- Allow the gravy to cool until it is thickened which should take around five to seven minutes.
- Once the gravy has thickened, remove it from the pan immediately. Serve with the cooked turkey.
- Turkey: Use either bone-in or boneless turkey breast for this recipe.
- Cook FROZEN Turkey in the Instant Pot on high pressure:
- 4-5 pounds: 65 minutes
- 5-6 pounds: 70 minutes
- 6-7 pounds: 75 minutes
- 7-8 pounds: 80 minutes
- 8-9 pounds: 85 minutes
Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then do a quick release by moving the valve to the Vent position.
Once the pressure has been fully released, remove the lid. Let the turkey sit for 10 minutes before slicing. This will help keep the turkey moist.
- 6-Quart Instant Pot: This size can cook up to a seven-pound turkey breast.
- 8-Quart Instant Pot: An 8-quart Instant Pot can cook up to a ten-pound turkey breast.
What to Serve with Instant Pot Turkey with Rosemary
You’ll want to serve this pressure-cooked turkey with cranberry sauce and all of your favorite comforting side dishes.
Some of my very favorite recipes to serve with turkey breast and gravy are Green Bean Casserole, Easy Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes, Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes, Apple Walnut Cranberry Salad, and Baked Acorn Squash Slices.
Pro Recipe Tips
Make sure you use ALL of the drippings from the cooked turkey breast for the best flavors for the gravy!
Make sure to cut the netting off and remove the gravy packet or anything else inside like giblets. Be sure the trivet is in the bottom of the pan before placing the turkey in the IP.
If you are removing the gravy packet from a frozen turkey, then run it under hot water to loosen the packet.
Store the leftovers in an airtight container for up to five days.
The best way to check that the turkey breast is fully cooked is to stick a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the breast and when it reads 165 degrees F. then it is done.
What To Make With Leftover Turkey Breast?
- Turkey Taco Soup
- Mexican Turkey Garbanzo Bean Salad
- Easy Turkey Fajitas
- Turkey Stir Fry with Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Turkey Sliders with Cranberry Sriracha Sauce
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do you keep turkey breast from drying out?
You will want to make sure you have a thermometer handy to make sure the turkey does not get overcooked. Also, be sure to keep the lid on the Instant Pot for ten minutes with the turkey breast inside before slicing.
What does bone-in turkey breast mean?
Bone-in turkey breast means that the turkey breast is still attached to the bone. Boneless breasts mean the bone has been removed from the breast.
How do you thicken gravy in a pressure cooker?
To thicken this Instant Pot gravy, you’ll just want to make sure you properly measure your flour and add enough flour to counterbalance the chicken broth and drippings.
What if my turkey isn’t fully thawed?
If the turkey is not fully thawed, then be sure to follow the instructions I included for frozen turkey breasts! This recipe works for either frozen or thawed turkey breast.
Which Thanksgiving recipes will you be making to serve with your Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy.
More Recipes You’ll Love
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Instant Pot Turkey Breast and Gravy
For The Turkey Breast
How To Make Instant Pot Turkey Breast
- Remove the turkey from the packaging and any other item from the cavity of the turkey breast.
- Place the trivet in the instant pot, pour the broth carefully into the pan, and set the turkey on the trivet.
- Then combine the softened butter, rosemary, thyme, sage, smoked paprika, garlic, salt, and pepper. Rub all over the outside of the turkey breast.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, set the seal. See notes above for cooking time.
- When the turkey has finished cooking and the slow release time has finished, do a quick release and carefully remove the lid.
- Remove the turkey and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
How To Make Instant Pot Turkey Gravy
- Pour the turkey drippings into a bowl and add enough chicken broth to make 2 ½ cups of liquid. Place the butter in the instant pot and set it to Sauté.
- Using a whisk, add the flour to the melted butter and cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly add the turkey drippings and broth back into the pan, whisking continuously, to keep clumps from forming.
- Let it cook until thickened, whisking often. This may take 5-7 minutes.
- Once thickened, remove from the pan immediately. Serve with turkey.
- You can cook the turkey straight from the freezer, or thawed.
- Make sure to cut the netting off and remove the gravy packet or anything else inside like giblets. Make sure to place the trivet to the bottom of the pan before cooking the turkey.
- If removing the gravy from a frozen turkey, run under hot water to loosen the packet.
- How long to cook a FROZEN turkey in the instant pot:
4-5 pounds : 65 minutes
5-6 pounds : 70 minutes
6-7 pounds : 75 minutes
7-8 pounds : 80 minutes
8-9 pounds : 85 minutes
- Let the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes, then do a quick release by moving the valve to venting. Once the pressure has been released, remove the lid. Let the turkey sit for 10 minutes before slicing. This will help keep the turkey from drying out.
- How long to cook a THAWED turkey in the instant pot:
6 minutes per pound, with 10 minutes of natural pressure release.
EX: 5 pounds = 30 minutes + 10 minutes natural pressure release.
A 6 quart IP can cook up to a 7-pound turkey breast. And an 8 quart IP can cook up to a 10-pound turkey breast.
Save all the drippings from the turkey for the gravy.