Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Scampi is my homemade copycat recipe of Olive Garden’s popular Chicken Scampi dish with sautéed chicken breast, onions, and bell peppers served over pasta with a creamy garlic white sauce.
The chicken scampi dish at Olive Garden is my Mother-in-Law’s favorite restaurant dish. If we ask her what she would like for her birthday dinner or for a special occasion, we already know that the answer will be chicken scampi from Olive Garden.
Due to several reasons we do not go out to restaurants as often as we used to. We cook at home primarily to save money (and so I can share our favorite recipes with you!) However, we do love restaurant dishes like this chicken scampi, or Chili’s Cajun Chicken Pasta.
Since I have had the chicken scampi several times at Olive Garden, I had a pretty good idea of what went into it. However, based on how good it tastes, I believe it probably has a whole lot more butter than what I am willing to use. I knew I wanted to use a little butter for flavor and probably the rest olive oil to make it a little healthier; but trust me, it is not diet by any means.
To confirm my thinking regarding the recipe, I searched online for copycat recipes. I discarded several but one was made similar to how I thought it should be made. This was the Olive Garden Chicken Scampi recipe by Stephanie at CopyKat Recipes. She has tons of copycat recipes from a number of different restaurants. Her site is a great starting point when looking to recreate a restaurant recipe. She even has videos where she shows you how to make it step by step.
I tweaked her recipe slightly by adding a little butter, and increased the garlic and Italian seasoning, and added a touch of parmesan cheese and chopped basil.
Why spend lots of money eating out, when you can often make it even tastier at home for a whole lot less money. Go ahead and give it a try. It is Mother-in-Law approved!
More Copycat Olive Garden Recipes
- Chicken and Shrimp Carbonara
- Italian Breadsticks – Copycat Olive Garden Breadsticks recipe
- Pasta e Fagioli – A delicious copycat Olive Garden soup recipe
- Tortellini Al Forno – A copy Olive Garden pasta recipe with cheese filled tortellini in a rich parmesan cream sauce.
Thank you for visiting. Don’t forget to Subscribe to Flavor Mosaic to have recipes delivered to your inbox. Follow Flavor Mosaic on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest happenings!
Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Scampi
- 1 pound chicken tenders or chicken breast halves pounded thin
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 medium sized sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound angel hair, or linguine or spaghetti pasta cooked according to package directions
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3/4 cup half and half (This is half milk and half cream)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Chopped basil to garnish
- Place flour into a shallow dish. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour milk into another shallow dish.
- Dredge chicken in the flour, then in milk, and then again in the flour. Set chicken aside.
- While the chicken is resting, chop onions and the red and green bell peppers.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil.
- Add the red and green peppers, and onions and cook until the onions are clear and the peppers are softened and starting to brown. Remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet add a tablespoon each of butter and oil. When hot, add the floured chicken. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, then turn the chicken and cook for roughly another 5 to 7 minutes. Remove chicken from pan.
- Add a tablespoon of butter, then add garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Stir in white wine and italian seasoning, scraping the bottom of the pan while you stir. Remove from heat.
- Add half and half and mix well.
- Stir in parmesan cheese into the sauce.
- Return the cooked onion and peppers to the pan and stir.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to the skillet.
- Add the pasta and vegetables on each serving plate.
- Top each plate with cooked chicken.
- Garnish with chopped basil and shredded parmesan cheese.
Pin this Copycat Olive Garden Chicken Scampi Recipe to your favorite Pinterest Board to save for later.
For more recipes like this, try my Italian Sausage and Pasta in a Cream Basil Sauce.
Another recipe you may enjoy is Chicken Piccata.
This post may be included in one of these fantastic link parties.