Chicken Piccata is a delicious, flavorful and easy chicken dinner with capers and can be on the table in 30 minutes.
Generally, on Sundays either we visit my sister’s family for dinner or visit my husband’s Mother for lunch. On other Sundays it is just the two of us. This was one of those Sundays where it was just Hubby and me. So I did the cooking on this Sunday.
I chose to make the Quick Chicken Piccata by Chef John on AllRecipes.com. It is quick and easy as well as healthy and delicious, and easy to scale down for just two people. What’s not to like? The chicken is seasoned and dredged in flour and then browned in oil in a skillet. It then creates a sauce with chicken broth (or white wine if you prefer), lemon juice, capers, and mushrooms.
I did modify the recipe slightly by using seasoned salt instead of regular salt, chicken broth instead of wine and adding garlic powder to the seasoning. It was delicious. I served it with green beans and penne pasta. Hubby and I both liked it and will likely have it again. It is also quick and easy enough to serve on a weeknight as well.
As part of the AllRecipes.com Allstar program we have been asked to participate in the Sunday Supper movement by having supper with our family once per week and serving recipes from the healthy MyPlate collection from their site. The goal is to encourage families to sit down together to supper for a healthy meal once per week.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- Seasoned salt to taste
- Cracked Black Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons capers drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh green onions
- Pound chicken breasts to about 1/2-inch thickness.
- Season both sides of chicken with seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne; dredge lightly in flour and shake off any excess.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken in the pan, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the chicken browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side; remove chicken from the skillet to a plate.
- Cook capers in reserved oil, about 30 seconds.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until reduced by half, about 2 minutes.
- Stir lemon juice, water, and butter into the mixture; cook and stir continuously to form a thick sauce, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Return chicken breasts to the pan cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with sauce spooned over the top and sprinkle green onions on top.
Want more? Try these outstanding recipes: