Turn your kitchen into a pancake house with this Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancake Recipe. Made from scratch, these fluffy buttermilk pancakes are just like you get at your favorite pancake house. They are perfect for a weekend breakfast or brunch.
Don’t worry if you don’t have a Magnolia Pancake Haus, Pancake Pantry, or an Original Pancake House near you for breakfast or brunch.
In this post, you will learn how to make your own from scratch homemade old-fashioned fluffy pancakes that are so light and fluffy and delicious, everyone will come to your house for pancakes.
- Equipment Needed For Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- Dry Ingredients Required for Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- How To Make Your Own Pancake Mix
- Wet Ingredients needed for Fluffy Pancakes
- How To Make Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes From Scratch
- When Do I Flip The Pancakes?
- Tips for Perfect Pancakes
- Pancake Variations
- Other Favorite Pancake Recipes
- What To Serve With These Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- ⭐ Reviews
There is nothing better for a weekend breakfast or brunch than those old-fashioned, homemade, made from scratch fluffy pancakes with melted butter and dripping with maple syrup. They bring back such childhood memories.
Soon the kids will be out of school and will be wanting these old-fashioned fluffy pancakes for breakfast every day! Don’t worry, this recipe is so easy that you can teach the kids to make these pancakes themselves!
Equipment Needed For Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- Sifter / Sieve
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
Dry Ingredients Required for Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How To Make Your Own Pancake Mix
The dry ingredients above make a pancake mix. If you did not want to make pancakes immediately, you could just whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and then store the pancake mix in an airtight container to have it ready to use when you are ready to make pancakes.
Wet Ingredients needed for Fluffy Pancakes
- 1 cup buttermilk (See notes)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
How To Make Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes From Scratch
Heat the griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Let heat while you make the pancake batter. Reduce heat to medium-low heat.
Grease the griddle or pan with butter.
Sift together all the dry ingredients, including the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk all dry ingredients to thoroughly combine.
Whisk together all the wet ingredients, which includes the buttermilk, egg, melted, butter and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk together.
Whisk just until the batter is smooth and most lumps are gone.
Cook for a minute or 2 until the edges bubble.
Using a wide spatula, slide it under the pancake, and using your wrist, flip it over and cook for another minute or so.
Remove from griddle and place on a plate. Top with butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!
When Do I Flip The Pancakes?
When you see the bubbles start to form, wait until the bubbles pop and leave little holes in the batter.
Then use a wide spatula to gently lift the pancake. If the pancake sticks, then let it cook a little longer.
Slide the spatula under the pancake, and gently lift the pancake, and using your wrist, quickly turn the pancake over.
Be sure to turn the pancake only once. Don’t flip the pancake more than once or it may flatten the pancake and you lose that fluffy texture.
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
- Use Fresh Baking Soda and Baking Powder. If your baking soda or baking powder is old then your pancakes will not turn out fluffy.
- Sift together the dry ingredients to avoid lumps in the batter.
- Don’t over mix. Don’t use a mixer at all. Just use a whisk to whisk the ingredients together.
- Use Buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk, make your own sour milk by adding 2 tablespoons white vinegar to regular milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Use a good nonstick griddle or pan.
- Heat the griddle while you are making the pancake batter. However, be sure it is not too hot when you start making the pancakes. Lower the heat to medium-low before cooking the pancakes.
- Grease the griddle or pan with butter.
This classic pancake recipe is perfect on its own or as a base pancake recipe for any number of variations.
- Blueberry Pancakes – Make the Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancake recipe as directed. Add a 1/2 cup of blueberries to the batter just before cooking the pancakes.
- Chocolate Chip Pancakes – Make the Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes recipe as directed. Stir in a 1/4 cup chocolate chips into the batter just before cooking the pancakes.
- Strawberry Pancakes – This recipe uses this Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes recipe as its base. Click over to that recipe to see how easy and delicious those are to make.
Other Favorite Pancake Recipes
- Oatmeal Pancakes – made with oats and whole wheat flour in a blender or food processor. It is healthy and delicious.
- Apple Maple Bacon Pancakes – combine apples, bacon, pancakes and maple syrup for an incredibly delicious sweet and smoky breakfast that is perfect for a weekend.
- Caramel Macchiato Pancakes – allow you to enjoy your Caramel Macchiato coffee drink in your morning pancakes instead of driving to the local coffee shop to order one.
- Cranberry White Chocolate Chip Pancakes – dress up traditional pancakes with dried cranberries and white chocolate chips and make a delicious weekend or holiday breakfast or brunch.
- S’Mores Chocolate Chip Pancakes – with chocolate ganache and marshmallow syrup make breakfast yummy, sweet, and fun!
What To Serve With These Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancakes
- Butter – You have to have real butter when serving pancakes. Place a pat of butter between each pancake. It will melt and add that buttery flavor.
- Real Maple Syrup – Drizzle your pancakes with real maple syrup. There is really nothing else like it. I recommend using the real deal. The imitation stuff just does not have the same flavor.
- Fresh Fruit Salad – is sweet and bursting with the flavor of the fresh fruit and a dressing that has a citrusy lemon-lime flavor of a margarita without the alcohol that adds a freshness to your breakfast or brunch.
- Mini Veggie Quiche Muffins – make them ahead of time and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds for a quick, healthy, on the go breakfast now or freeze them for later for a Sunday brunch.
- Strawberry Blueberry Yogurt Parfait– are healthy, budget-friendly, no-bake desserts made with greek yogurt, granola, strawberries, and blueberries, and are sweet, creamy, crunchy and yummy, and offer a healthy option for breakfast or brunch!
- Breakfast Potatoes – are bites of roasted potatoes spiced up Texas style with taco seasoning, chopped onions, red bell peppers, and jalapenos, and will kick-start your breakfast or brunch.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
Old Fashioned Fluffy Pancake Recipe
- Heat the griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Let heat while you make the pancake batter. Reduce heat to medium-low heat.
- Grease the griddle or pan with butter.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients, including the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk all dry ingredients to thoroughly combine.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Whisk just until the batter is smooth and most lumps are gone.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour the pancake batter onto the greased hot griddle or skillet.
- Cook for a minute or 2 until the edges bubble.
- Using a wide spatula, slide it under the pancake, and using your wrist, flip it over and cook for another minute or so.
- Remove from griddle and place on a plate. Top with butter and maple syrup. Enjoy!