I love slaw, especially this Greek Broccoli Slaw! I love the colors and the flavors! It is fantastic with chicken, barbecue, picnics, and just about everything else. However, I don’t love mayonnaise in slaw. Don’t get me wrong. It tastes great. However, if this slaw is for a picnic or potluck and it sits out for a little while, that is not good. Also, I can afford to do without the fat and calories…but not the flavor.
So, if I’m going to redo slaw, I want to make it healthier and make it taste so fabulous, you will never want mayonnaise in your saw again! Skeptical….are you? Well, my husband was too……at first. He has now been converted and says I make the best slaw. Yes. He’s a smart man!
So how do I make this popular dish healthier and tastier you ask? Ditch the mayonnaise! Round up a bag of broccoli slaw, the kind with red cabbage and shredded carrots. I like Mann’s Broccoli Cole Slaw. Yes. I do take this shortcut. If you have the time, go ahead and shred the broccoli, cabbage and carrots. Using broccoli in your slaw boosts the nutrition tremendously.
However, what really makes this slaw flavorful is the red wine vinaigrette, feta cheese, and black olives. For the most flavor, make this slaw a day ahead and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight so all the vinaigrette and seasonings and vegetables can do their slow dance together. Trust me, this step makes a huge difference. Plus it makes your day so much easier when the slaw has been made ahead and is just waiting to be served. Go ahead and give it a try. Let me know how you like it!
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (12-ounce) bag broccoli slaw mix (I use Mann's Broccoli Cole Slaw)
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add the broccoli slaw into a large bowl. Toss in red and green bell peppers, black olives, red onion, almonds, and feta cheese. Pour vinaigrette over the slaw and stir until evenly coated.
- Refrigerate overnight to serve the next day.
To complement the meal try these Mediterranean Chicken Thighs from A New York Foodie.