Instant Pot Ham Green Beans And Potatoes is a classic Southern side dish or one-pot meal, often slow cooked in a crockpot with a ham hock, but this short cut method uses chopped ham in an Instant Pot pressure cooker.
It is a great way to use leftover ham from Easter or Thanksgiving.
Ham Green Beans and Potatoes
Green Beans And Potatoes are a traditional Southern one dish meal. They are often cooked with leftover ham, like from my Peach Glazed Spiral Ham or my Crock Pot Brown Sugar Pineapple Glazed Ham recipe, or a ham hock, or with bacon. We would often see this dish on Sunday suppers or for the main dish a day or two after a holiday dinner to use up leftover ham.
With only 3 main ingredients, ham, green beans, and potatoes, this Instant Pot Ham Green Beans and Potatoes recipe is one of my favorite Instant Pot Recipes, and you can easily customize and season it to your taste. See the next photo for the green beans, potatoes, and ham that I used. I added sliced onions for additional flavor.
Table of Contents
How To Make Instant Pot Ham Green Beans And Potatoes
- Add the chopped ham and sliced onions to the inner pot of the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
- Next, add fresh, snapped, and rinsed green beans to the Instant Pot.
- Then add the quartered potatoes on top of the green beans.
- Next stir to mix up the ham, green beans, and potatoes and onions.
- Then pour in 1-1/2 cups of chicken broth or water over the ham, green beans, and potatoes.
- Next, close the lid and move the seal to the sealing position.
- Press the “Pressure Cook” button and set the Pressure level to High Pressure, and change the time to 8 minutes. (Please note that it will take about 5 minutes to come up to pressure before it starts the 8-minute pressure cooking time.)
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Carefully open the lid and spoon the Ham, Green Beans, and Potatoes into a serving bowl.
Comparing Cooking Methods
The Ham Green Beans And Potatoes recipe is so versatile that they can be cooked one of three ways, on the stove, in a Crock Pot or in an Instant Pot. Each method has its benefits.
Instant Pot. I like cooking the Ham Green Beans Potatoes in an Instant Pot when I don’t have a lot of time, and I need it to be ready in under 30 minutes.
Slow Cooker. However, if I am going to be gone for several hours, then I’ll just dump all the ingredients in a crockpot or slow cooker, and let it cook for several hours. Cook on high for 3 or 4 hours or on low for 7 or 8 hours. This is a great method if you have a ham hock to cook with green beans and potatoes.
Stove Top. You can also cook the Ham Green Beans And Potatoes in a dutch oven on the stove. If you have an hour to cook, or don’t have an Instant Pot, or Slow Cooker, then this is an excellent choice.
I like all these methods because they are all one pot meals.
When Cooking Potatoes, Size Matters
When cooking potatoes, size matters, as does the type of potatoes. New potatoes or Yukon gold potatoes work well and can be halved. If you use russet potatoes, you will have to cut them into smaller sizes, maybe be quarter the potato, if it is not too big, or if they are large, then cut them in about 2-inch cubes.
Which Type of Green Beans Work Best?
Fresh green beans work the best for this recipe, in my opinion. I highly recommend using fresh green beans. However, frozen green beans could be used instead.
More Green Bean And Potato Recipes
If you like this recipe, be sure to try my Creole Green Beans, Balsamic Bacon Green Beans, and my Green Bean Potato Salad Recipe with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, and Crockpot Roasted Potatoes.
More Instant Pot Recipes
Holiday Dinner Recipes
If you are looking for Holiday Dinner Recipes, check out these 16 Showstopping Holiday Dinner Recipes and my Most Popular Thanksgiving Recipes. You’ll find recipes like our popular Southern Squash Casserole, and Creole Green Beans, as well as many more.
This recipe was a hit with the family, and since it is so easy to make, we will be making it again and again. I hope you will try this recipe and let me know how you liked it.
Instant Pot Ham Green Beans And Potatoes
- Add the diced ham and sliced onions to the inner liner pot of the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
- Add fresh, snapped, and rinsed green beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add the quartered potatoes on top of the green beans.
- Stir to mix up the ham, green beans, and potatoes and onions.
- Pour in 1 cup of chicken broth or water over the ham, green beans, and potatoes.
- Close the lid and move the seal to the sealing position.
- Press the “Pressure Cook” button and set the Pressure level to High Pressure, and use the + or – buttons to change the time to 8 minutes. (Please note that it will take about 5 – 10 minutes to come up to pressure before it starts the 8-minute pressure cooking time.)
- After it has finished pressure cooking 8 minutes, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes (which means you do nothing!) and then carefully move the pressure release valve to the VENTING position, which does a quick pressure release. After the pressure has been released, and the pin dropped, carefully open the lid and spoon the Ham, Green Beans, and Potatoes into a serving bowl. Enjoy!