Adapted from AllRecipes.com, this delicious, healthy, easy, budget-friendly, one-dish meal is one of our favorites and is perfect for the start of fall.
What really makes this dish is the spice combination of onion, garlic, cumin, turmeric, salt, black pepper, parsley, and cinnamon. With chicken, onions, carrots, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and garbanzo beans, it is similar to a stew but does not have all the liquid of what we think of as a traditional stew.
It is more like chicken and vegetables with a thin, flavorful sauce. I like to serve it over couscous.
When I first saw the Slow Cooker Chicken Marrakesh recipe on AllRecipes, it peaked my curiosity. I had never had Moroccan inspired food, nor had I cooked with turmeric before.
Also, up until this time I did not like cinnamon on anything other than sweets. So I wanted to try it but was nervous. However, since it was a super-easy, budget-friendly, and heathy, I gave it a go.
This dish taught me something. I learned that I can like the flavor of a well-balanced combination of spices even if I think I don’t like one particular spice. The flavor changes when all the other spices are combined together and have time to develop. The dish allows them to do that.
How to make this dish? Throw the chicken, onion, garlic, sweet potatoes, carrots, and garbanzo beans in a slow cooker. (OK. Don’t throw. Gently place them in the slow cooker. We don’t want any food fights. Well, the kids might; but I digress.) Next mix together in a small bowl the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, parsley, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the spices on top of the ingredients in the slow cooker. Pour the can of diced tomatoes over the top. Cover and cook on high for about 3-1/2 hours. That’s all. It is that simple.
After about 3-1/2 hours of cooking and wonderful aromas coming from the kitchen, here came the taste test. I did not tell my husband what the dish was called or what spices were in it. I just let him taste it and decide for himself. And the verdict: He LOVED it! He said it was the best dish I ever made. And the good thing is, I loved it too and have since made it several times, and now I share it with you.
It is your turn. Give it a try, and let me know how you like it.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Marrakesh
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Place the onion, garlic, carrots, sweet potatoes, garbanzo beans, and chicken breast pieces into a slow cooker.
- In a bowl, mix the cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, black pepper, parsley, and salt, and sprinkle over the chicken and vegetables. Pour in the tomatoes, and stir to combine.
- Cover the cooker, set to High, and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the sauce has thickened, 3-1/2 to 4 hours.
Want more? Try these fantastic recipes: