This homemade Salisbury Steak is a ground beef patty with onions, mushrooms, and a brown Salisbury Steak gravy, and is pure comfort food. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans or peas and you have a fantastic family dinner.
Texas is beef country. I grew up in Texas and beef was king. My Dad was a meat and potatoes guy, and that is what we kids ate too. Things were a little different in my family. My Dad was the great cook. My Mom tried, but it was not something she liked to do.
If you have a meat and potatoes guy or girl in your family, they will be in heaven if you make this savory homemade Salisbury Steak for dinner.
I have a secret ingredient in my Salisbury Steak that so far I have not seen in any other Salisbury Steak recipe. What is it you ask? It is cocktail sauce in the meat patty. Most people use ketchup. However, I like the extra flavor and kick of the cocktail sauce.
If you don’t have cocktail sauce, don’t worry. You can easily make your own or just substitute ketchup. Cocktail sauce is ketchup with horseradish, Worcestershire Sauce, Lemon Juice, and hot sauce. See the printable recipe below for the amounts.
The onions and mushrooms are sauteed in butter, which adds so much flavor. Then you make the brown gravy in the same pan. Add a little flour, beef broth, more Worcestershire, and dry mustard, and you have a delicious brown gravy.
This Salisbury Steak with sauteed onions and mushrooms with brown gravy is so comforting and is a real crowd pleaser.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
Salisbury Steak Patties
- 2 Tablespoons of oil
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons cocktail sauce*
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 package sliced mushrooms
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
*Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1 dash hot sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, cocktail sauce (or ketchup), yellow mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, pepper, and the garlic and herb seasoning. Mix well to combine.
- Shape the meat mixture into four oval-shaped patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for about a minute, then add the butter. Place the meat patties in the skillet and cook them for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until they’re well-browned. Remove the patties from the skillet and set them aside.
- Prepare the gravy: add the onions and mushrooms to the skillet and reduce the heat to medium-low. Sautee the onions for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour over the mushrooms and onions and stir to coat. Gradually stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard and raise the heat back to medium.
- Add the cooked beef patties back into the skillet. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook the patties for 5 more minutes, or until they’re cooked through. Remove the Salisbury steaks from the heat and serve them warm.
- In a small bowl stir together all the ingredients listed under Homemade Cocktail Sauce. Then use it in the Salisbury Steak recipe.