As you can see from the photo above, I completely got carried away with this Loaded Grilled Cheese Sandwich that is loaded with lots of pepper jack, cheddar, and mozzarella cheese, as well as bacon, spinach and tomatoes. While it is ridiculously messy, it also tastes ridiculously fantastic.
If you love cheese, then you will love this loaded grilled cheese sandwich. Yes. The bacon, spinach, and tomatoes really are in there…just under layers of melted cheese.
As you can tell I love cheese! Did I tell you I love cheese? Can you tell I love cheese?
The way I made this, it will require a knife and fork to eat. However, for the recipe below I reduced the amount of cheese to a more reasonable amount so you don’t end up with a little bread with your cheese.
Loaded Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices bread I used whole wheat
- 4 slices cooked bacon cut in half
- 1/4 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 slices of large tomato
- 2 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 slices cheddar
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Place the bread on a plate. Butter each slice of bread on one side only. Turn the slices of bread over so the buttered side is face down on the plate. Then on 2 slices of bread, place 1 slice of pepper jack cheese each of the two slices. Then add a slice of tomato on top of each slice of cheese. Then spread out the baby spinach leaves on top of the tomato to cover each of the two slices of bread. Place 4 half slices of bacon on each of the two sandwiches. Then cover the bacon on each sandwich with a slice of cheddar cheese. Sprinkle two tablespoons of shredded mozzarella on top of each slice of cheddar. Cover each sandwich with the remaining slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Heat of a griddle or skillet on medium low heat. I add additional butter to the griddle or skillet.
- When the skillet is hot, and butter melted, using a spatula, place the sandwich in the skillet. Cook it for about 5 minutes or until the bottom side of the bread is golden brown and the cheese on the bottom is melted.
- Using a spatula, carefully turn the sandwich over so the other slice of buttered bread faces down in the griddle or skillet. Cook until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Remove sandwich to a place and slice in half.
- Repeat with other sandwich.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.