These refried beans made in the Instant Pot are so easy to make. They’re full of the best flavors you will love such as fresh garlic, onion, cumin, tender pinto beans, and more!
This pressure cooker refried beans recipe is great for meal prep, freezer-friendly, and way better than the rest.
Creamy Instant Pot refried beans are a delicious and flavorful side dish to make at home whenever you are craving your favorite Mexican Recipes, and want to make one of the easiest Instant Pot Recipes.
They are filled with aromatic spices and topped with fresh ingredients such as bright cilantro, spicy sliced jalapeńos, robust tomatoes, crumbly queso fresco, and much much more!
Table of Contents
This refried beans recipe is way better than a can of refried beans you would find at the store because they are so easy to customize and way healthier! I love this recipe because you do not have to use any oil or fry these pinto beans–just prepare in the pressure cooker and relax!
Serve a side of these savory and well-seasoned refried beans with your favorite Mexican recipes such as Low Carb Steak Fajita Roll Ups, Potato and Chorizo Empanadas, Instant Pot Cilantro Rice, and more. There are so many tasty pairings out there for a Mexican meal made at home!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Super Easy. This Instant Pot recipe is ready in about 30 minutes which means it is ideal for those busy weeknights when you need dinner ready quickly!
- Tasty. The combinations of chili powder, cumin, and garlic create the best flavors that make these refried beans so good. You will love these beans way better than any canned beans.
- Flexible. Switch things up with different types of beans and spices for this recipe. You can even make these beans vegetarian or vegan!
- Freezer-Friendly. Did you know refried beans could be frozen? Make an extra batch to freeze in the freezer whenever you want to have your favorite Mexican beans ready on hand!
Why This Recipe Works
- Refried beans are family-friendly and definitely loved by kids!
- The beans are the perfect texture and can be made in the blender or just mashed by hand.
- Pinto beans are rich in protein and great for whenever you need some food to hold you over for a few hours.
- This recipe is super straightforward, great for all cooks, and a new recipe for you to try in the Instant Pot!
What You’ll Need To Make Instant Pot Refried Beans
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product, which does not increase the price.
- Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker – This popular Duo 7-in-1 Instant Pot is an extremely highly rated Instant Pot model and is the same model that I own.
Below, I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions if you don’t have a specific ingredient. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Pinto Beans. I like using dried pinto beans because I can control the salt levels and flavors. For the beans to cook quicker, soak them in water beforehand!
- Onion. Freshly diced onion is fresh and bold and adds a ton of flavor to these beans! I used white onion for this recipe but you can use yellow.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic is tasty for these beans and truly a must! You can use ground garlic powder if you need to.
- Seasoning. A blend of cumin, chili powder, and salt is needed to make these beans taste perfect!
- Chicken Broth. Savory chicken broth is absorbed in the beans to make them perfectly tender and delicious.
- Water. I used water but you could use chicken broth or vegetable broth if you wish.
To make these beans even tastier, you will need:
- Cilantro. Use fresh chopped cilantro and not dried cilantro.
- Lime Wedges.
- Diced Onions. You can use white or red onions.
- Avocado. Dice up some fresh avocados or add some guacamole.
- Queso Fresco. I like to crumble this white cheese on top.
- Diced Tomato. You could also top with Pico de Gallo.
- Sliced Jalapeños. You can choose to include seeds, which will be more spicy, or remove the seeds, which will be less spicy.
How to Make Pressure Cooker Refried Beans
For a printable recipe card, scroll down to the bottom of the post, just above the comment section.
- First, add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Next, place the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it is fully sealed or the beans will not cook the way they are supposed to. Set the Instant Pot timer on high for 30 minutes or use the bean cycle on some models. It will take about ten minutes for the pressure to build in the Instant Pot.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking and the timer has beeped, allow the pot to slowly release for 20 minutes. Next, use the quick release function and check the beans to see if they are tender and done. If the beans have not been soaked, then they may need an additional ten minutes of cooking time in the Instant Pot. Just place the lid back on the pot, seal, and cook on high for ten minutes.
- After the beans have cooked, mash them with a potato masher, blend them in the pot with an immersion blender, or blend in a blender for a few seconds. Serve the cooked beans with your favorite garnishes!
There are other ways to make these beans! See below.
- Bacon: Add some cooked chopped bacon to the refried beans for extra crunch and savory flavors.
- Vegan and Vegetarian: Use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth and omit the cheese.
- For Frito Lays Copycat Dip: add two teaspoons of granulated sugar to the Instant Pot while mashing the beans.
- Whole Pinto Beans: Instead of mashing these beans, just serve them as whole pinto beans!
- Beans: Use black beans!
Pro Recipe Tips
- Store the leftover refried beans in cup-sized portions in the freezer and simply just thaw and heat when ready to use.
- Spray the containers you are freezing the beans in with nonstick cooking spray. You will want to spray any container, even ziplock bags, to allow the beans to slide out easier for cooking!
- Store the leftover beans in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
- Freeze the beans in the freezer in airtight containers or bags for three months.
What To Serve With Refried Beans
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How Do I Store Leftover Refried Beans?
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I Freeze Instant Pot Refried Beans?
Freeze in small portions in airtight containers or in zip lock bags for up to 3 months.
More Recipes You Will Love
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
- Lime wedges
- Diced onions
- Queso Fresco
- Diced Tomato
- Sliced Jalapenos
- Add all the ingredients to the instant pot and stir.
- Place the lid on the instant pot and make sure it is sealed.
- Set the timer on high for 30 minutes, or the bean cycle. It will take about 10 minutes to build up pressure before it starts cooking.
- When the timer is done, let it slow release for 20 minutes. Finish with a quick release and check the beans for doneness. If the beans haven’t been soaked, they may need an additional 10 minutes. If this is the case, just place the lid back on the pan, set the seal, set on high for 10 minutes.
- When the beans are fully cooked. You can use a masher and mash till the consistency you like. You can place the beans in the blender and pulse for a few seconds till blended.
- Serve beans with your choice of garnishes.
- This makes a large pot of beans. They can be eaten as delicious pinto beans, or mashed and served as “refried” beans.
- You can mash these beans with a bean masher, use an immersion blender, or place the beans in a blender to mash.
- You can store these in cup size portions in the freezer, ready to thaw and use when you want.
- Spray containers that you will be using for freezing (even ziplock bags) with nonstick cooking spray. This will help the beans slide out easier for heating.
- To make a Frito Lays copycat refried bean dip, add 2 teaspoons of sugar to the large pot when mashing.
- You can soak the beans for an hour or longer, then drain. This will help them cook quicker.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Freeze in small portions in air tight containers or in zip lock bags up to 3 months.