I love quick and easy gourmet dishes. This chicken dish with an Italian Parmesan Cream Sauce is worthy to serve to guests, or for a date night, or as a quick weeknight meal.
This was actually a last minute weeknight dish using what I had on hand. It is chicken dredged in seasoned flour and sautéed in a skillet topped with the Italian Parmesan Cream Sauce. The sauce is out of this world! Serve it over pasta and your favorite vegetable and pretend you are in a cozy cafe in Tuscany. Hey, a girl can dream, can’t she?
Don’t let the long list of ingredients scare you away. It really is easy to make.
In a shallow dish, add 1/2 cup of flour. Then add your seasoning: seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and italian seasoning. Many people just add salt and pepper or no seasoning at all to the flour. However, I add extra seasoning because I like lots of flavor.
In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the chicken breasts on each side. This should not take long, maybe 5 minutes on each side. However, the time will vary depending on the thickness of the chicken breasts. Once cooked, set the chicken aside.
To make the sauce, add butter to the same skillet, let it melt a little and then add the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes until the onions a clear. Then stir in the minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Add the flour and stir. When combined with the butter it makes a kind of paste. Add the lemon juice, chicken broth, and cream and continue stirring. Add in the tomatoes and capers and stir until evenly distributed. Stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese and continue stirring until the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat.
Serve the chicken with your favorite pasta and vegetables. Pour the Italian Parmesan Cream Sauce over the top for a fantastic meal.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts halves
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons capers
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- In a shallow baking dish, combine ½ cup flour, seasoned salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and italian seasoning until all is evenly blended. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook each side until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add butter, and chopped onion to the pan and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add ¼ cup flour to pan and whisk to combine. Add lemon juice, chicken broth, cream, and stir for a few minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and capers and stir until evenly distributed.
- Stir in parmesan cheese until the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat.
- Serve chicken over pasta and vegetables. Top with the Italian Parmesan Cream Sauce. Enjoy!