This Watergate Salad, also known as Pistachio Salad, Pistachio Delight or Pistachio Fluff or Green Fluff, can be a side salad or dessert salad and is a sweet, cool, crunchy dessert made with pistachio pudding, whipped topping, crushed pineapple, mini marshmallows, pecans, and coconut.
This week’s Sunday Supper theme is vintage or nostalgic summer recipes that are designed to remind you of the summers of your childhood. Our host is Coleen, the voice behind the blog, The Redheaded Baker.
Whether it brings back memories of carnivals, county fairs, backyard BBQ’s or picnics on the beach, summertime is often the time of year that we have the happiest childhood memories.
As we get deeper into the lazy days of summer, we hope our recipes will inspire you to gather your family and friends around the Sunday dinner table or picnic table and enjoy these fabulous recipes while remembering the good times and creating new memories.
This Watergate Salad or Pistachio Delight or Pistachio Fluff or green fluff is such a delicious, cool and refreshing dessert that is perfect for summer BBQ or picnic.
Many of you may already serve this at holiday dinners, such as Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter.
This recipe was actually invented back in the 1970’s by a pudding company. However, no one is actually sure how it got the name, Watergate Salad. Rumor has it that a creative editor in Chicago reprinted the recipe and the name stuck! Since it was named only a year after the infamous Watergate Scandal, it probably made this dessert salad more popular!
So does that make this Watergate Salad dessert scandalous? It certainly is scandalously delicious!
What makes this Watergate Salad taste so good that it has been served at family tables for decades? It includes crushed pineapple, pistachio pudding mix, miniature marshmallows, chopped pecans, whipped topping and I add coconut and top it with a maraschino cherry!
It is now your turn to make this Watergate Salad / Pistachio Delight / Pistachio Salad / Pistachio Fluff! Scroll down for the printable recipe. Be sure to let me know if this has been a family favorite for years in your family. Also in the comments let me know what your family calls this sweet, creamy and crunchy dessert!
If you like this recipe, you may also like to try these other recipes!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
- 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice, undrained
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package pistachio instant pudding mix
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- 1 (8-ounce) container whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Stir in the whipped topping.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. I recommend refrigerating overnight.
- Serve with additional whipped topping and a maraschino cherry. (optional)
Be sure to check out the other delicious recipes from the Sunday Supper Tastemasters!
- Blueberry Lavender Lemonade by Beauty and the Beets
- Natural Pink Pineapple Lemonade by Food Lust People Love
- Rhubarb Muffins by Wholistic Woman
- Strawberry Cream Cheese French Toast by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gazpacho Shooters by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Grilled BLT Kebabs by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Strawberry Fruit Dip by Books n’ Cooks
- Classic Shrimp Roll Sliders by Crazed Mom
- How to Cook Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Wiener Schnitzel by Caroline’s Cooking
- Baked Beans by Magnolia Days
- Creamy Ranch Potato Salad by Dash of Evans
- Grilled Zucchini Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Seven-Layer Salad with Bacon and Peas by The Hungry Goddess
- Southern Fried Squash by Peaceful Cooking
- Spätzlesalat (German Spaetzle Pasta Salad) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Summer’s Best Tomato Cucumber Salad by Delaware Girl Eats
- Ambrosia Salad by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Bavarian Almonds by Palatable Pastime
- Blueberry Cobbler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Boardwalk Funnel Cake by The Redhead Baker
- Buttermilk Pound Cake by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- DIY Drumsticks by A Mind Full Mom
- Double Corn Buttermilk Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Frosted Grapes by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free S’mores Magic Bars by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Homemade Banana Pudding by Cooking with Carlee
- Homemade Drumsticks by Pies and Plots
- Japanese Melon Ice Cream by Ninja Baker
- Lemon Coconut Bars by The Finer Cookie
- Lemonade Pie with Sugar Cone Crust by Dizzy, Busy and Hungry
- Poke Cake by Our Good Life
- Maple Sugar Candy by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Mom’s Rhubarb Cake by Monica’s Table
- Nana’s No-Bake Cheesecake Squares by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Pudding Pops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Root Beer Float Ice Cream Sandwiches by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Sherbet Float by Cookin’ Mimi
- Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Jello Pie by Tramplingrose
- Tita’s Fruit Dessert by Basic N Delicious
- Toasted Coconut Puppy Chow by Helpful Homemade
- Watergate Salad by Flavor Mosaic
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement