Italian Sausage and Pasta in a Cream Basil Sauce. AllRecipes.com has teamed up with Johnsonville Sausages this month, and as an AllRecipes Allstar, I have been asked to make a few recipes from the collection of Johnsonville’s sponsored recipes on AllRecipes.
I decided on their Bow Ties with Italian Sausage in a Cream Basil Sauce recipe for one of our weeknight dinners and adapted it slightly for our preference and for ingredients I had on-hand. I used the Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage instead of the Johnsonville® Italian Sweet Sausage Links because I had it on hand, but either one would work. The recipe already had dozens of rave reviews online so I was excited to try it.
It was so easy. Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Brown the sausage in a skillet. Sprinkle with a little crushed red pepper and cook until sausage is no longer pink. Add the onion and garlic and saute. Stir in chopped tomatoes, and salt. Cook for about three minutes. Pour in the half and half, cream and parmesan. Stir on low until thickened. Stir in the cooked pasta and basil. Sprinkle on the mozzarella. Done!
The result? My husband mumbling “this is really good” while he is eating and then asking for seconds. After finishing off the second plate, asked “Is there any more?” I asked if he would want me to make this again. He response: “Absolutely!” That is the definition of a successful dinner in our house! This creamy, comforting, slightly spicy sausage and pasta dish was a hit!
This recipe has it all. In addition to tasting fantastic, it is quick and easy to prepare, which makes any weeknight dinner a breeze. Try it and your family will be impressed and their tummies will be very happy.
- 3 cups farfalle (bow-tie) pasta
- 1 (16 ounce) package Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups fresh cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sausage and crumble it with a spoon as it cooks.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and continue cooking until sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes until onion softens. Add garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and salt, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add half and half and heavy cream and parmesan cheese; simmer on low until mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in the cooked pasta and basil and cook until heated through, roughly about 3 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil, and shredded mozzarella.
Try this delicious Spicy Chicken Pasta from Life Tastes Good.
Or how about this Peppery Pasta with Arugula and Sausage from Renee’s Kitchen Adventures.