This post was sponsored by The Women Bloggers, LLC and #SoapBoxInfluence. Special thanks to the Kendal King Group, creators of Bush’s #HummusMadeEasy Campaign. All opinions are my own.
These spicy, cheesy Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas start with the easy 2-ingredient Southwest Black Bean Hummus and come together in minutes for a Mediterranean twist on a favorite Mexican appetizer.
I love love love Mexican food. When I come home from an international trip, the first thing I want to do is do a face plant into some amazing Mexican food, especially quesadillas. It is comfort food to me. However, I love to mix it up with other flavors from around the world.
These Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas combine my favorite Southwest and Mexican foods with Mediterranean flavors for a unique twist on quesadillas!
While these Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas may sound intimidating, they can be on the table in under 15 minutes thanks to BUSH’S® Hummus Made Easy. It makes the entire recipe super easy.
There is no need to go from store to store tracking down exotic ingredients like tahini or buying a large container of an ingredient that you use only for one recipe.
BUSH’S® Hummus Made Easy truly makes hummus easy to make. How easy? All you need is the BUSH’S® Hummus Made Easy, a can of BUSH’S® beans, and a food processor. That’s it.
Process the ingredients for about a minute until all the beans are mashed and it has a smooth dip-like consistency.BUSH’S® Hummus Made Easy come in three delicious flavors including Classic, Roasted Red Pepper, and my favorite, Southwest Black Bean.
I had to explain to my Mother-in-Law what hummus was because she had never heard of it and was skeptical. However, once she tried a small spoonful of the hummus, she was hooked.
She liked it so much that I had to hide the black bean hummus to have enough available to make the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas. My Mother-in-Law is a tough critic. If she likes it, then you know it is good!
It would be a great idea to make extra Southwest Black Bean Hummus to serve as a dip with vegetables. I like to add a dollop of sour cream and some chopped cilantro.
Once you have the Black Bean Hummus made, then it is only a matter of assembling the ingredients for the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas.
Start by laying a flour tortilla on a flat surface. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the Southwest Black Bean Hummus on the tortilla. You may adjust the amount for your taste. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese. Then top with red and green bell peppers and sliced jalapenos if you want a kick. Then top with another tortilla.
The Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas are really kind of like a Southwest or Mexican style grilled cheese sandwich because now that the quesadillas are assembled, it is time to grill them on a hot griddle or in a hot skillet.
The Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas cook in a hot skillet for only a couple of minutes until turning.
The tortillas will become golden brown and a little crispy and the cheese starts to melt. Be careful not to burn the tortillas. Once the cheese is melted then carefully remove the quesadillas to a plate and slice into triangles. Now you are ready to serve the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas.
Now it is your turn. Be sure to head to Walmart to pick up the BUSH’S® Hummus Made Easy and a can of BUSH’S® Black Beans to make these Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas. Trust me. You will thank me for it!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas
- 1 (16-ounce) can BUSH'S Black Beans
- 1 (6-ounce) package BUSH's HUMMUS MADE EASY Southwest Black Bean
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 red sweet pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced (leave seeds in for more heat)
- Optional: sour cream and cilantro to garnish
- To make the Southwest Black Bean Hummus, combine the BUSH'S Black Beans with the BUSH'S HUMMUS MADE EASY Southwest Black Bean flavor in a food processor. Process for about a minute or two until the beans are blended smooth to a dip like consistency. Set aside.
- To make the Southwest Black Bean Quesadillas lay 4 flour tortillas on a flat surface. Spoon a tablespoon or two of the Southwest Black Bean Hummus on each tortilla. Sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top of the hummus on each quesadilla. Lay slices of red and green bell peppers on top of the cheese. Add slices of jalapenos, if desired. Top with another flour tortilla.
- In a griddle or skillet over medium heat, heat a tablespoon of oil. When hot, using a spatula, place the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadilla on the griddle or in the skillet. You may have to cook in batches.
- Let the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadilla cook for a minute or two on one side until the cheese starts to melt, and the tortilla becomes slightly crispy and golden brown, and then using a spatula, carefully turn over to cook the other side for a minute or two until the cheese is melted and the flour tortilla is slightly crispy with golden brown spots. Be careful not to overcook.
- Remove from the griddle or skillet and slice each quesadilla into 6 triangles.
- Serve the Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas with your favorite toppings, such as sour cream, chopped cilantro, tomatoes, avocado, etc.
If you like this recipe for Southwest Black Bean Hummus Quesadillas, you may also like this recipe:
You may also like to serve your Southwest Black Bean Quesadillas with: