In my quest for quick, easy, creamy, cheesy comfort food, I searched the food blog world and found two favorites: Skillet Lasagna From Valerie’s Kitchen and Cajun Chicken Pasta On The Lighter Side from SkinnyTaste.com. If these two recipes got married, this Creamy Cajun Chicken Lasagna would be their love child. It is a skillet lasagna with cajun-spiced chicken, vegetables and lasagna noodles in a rich and creamy white sauce smothered in melted mozzarella cheese.
Next time you want comfort food, and don’t want to spend 2 hours cooking, nor go to the grocery store or spend all evening doing dishes and scrubbing a bunch of pots and pans, make this recipe!
I love this creamy, cajun chicken skillet lasagna because:
- It uses common ingredients found in your fridge or pantry. Likely no trip to the store is required.
- It is quick and easy to make so dinner is on the table in less than an hour.
- It is a one-pot meal so after dinner you can spend time with your family instead of washing dishes.
- It is spicy, creamy, cheesy, and has chicken and pasta. What more can you ask?
Let’s get started.
Chop your boneless, skinless chicken breasts and sprinkle both sides with cajun seasoning. Use your favorite brand or make my homemade version. I don’t add additional salt because often cajun seasonings have a lot of salt. My version has no salt. If you use that, you may want to add a little salt.
Add a tablespoon of oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Shortcut tip: To make this even faster, use shredded cooked chicken (such as leftover rotisserie chicken) sprinkle with cajun seasoning and heat in a skillet with oil for a few minutes until heated through.
Use the vegetables you have on hand. I used red, green, and yellow bell peppers. However, this recipe would work great with fresh spinach.
Shortcut tip: Chop vegetables as soon as you get home from the store so you have them quickly available to use in recipes. Or for more convenience, buy the pre-chopped peppers from your store.
Sautee onions and vegetables in oil for about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back in with the vegetables. Then top with broken pieces of lasagna noodles. No need to boil first.
For the sauce, in most recipes it would call for heavy cream. However, I adapted my sauce from Gina’s “slurry” in her Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe. In a food processor or blender, add 2/3 cup milk, 1 (8-oz) package of light cream cheese, 3 tablespoons of flour, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic (or 1 clove garlic). Blend until smooth.
Reduce heat to low, then pour the white sauce over the chicken, vegetables, and lasagna noodles.
Sprinkle mozzarella on top, cover, and let cook for about 5 minutes or until these cheese has melted.
Look at this skillet of luscious lasagna.
MMM! Can’t wait to dig in.
Yes. It’s just the way I like it: messy, oohy, gooey, creamy and cheesy.
Now you know what’s for dinner tonight.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1" pieces
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning can use store bought or <a href="http://www.flavormosaic.com/no-salt-cajun-creole-seasoning/">my homemade version</a>
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 each: green red, and yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 6 no boil lasagna noodles each broken into about 6 pieces
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 8 ounce package light cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
- Add oil to a 10" skillet over medium-high heat and brown chicken for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Add vegetables and sprinkle them with other half of cajun seasoning.
- Cook chicken and vegetables until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Place broken pieces of lasagna noodles on top of the chicken and vegetables.
- Reduce heat to low and pour the white sauce on top making sure to cover all the lasagna noodles.
- Cover and simmer on low for about 10 minutes or until the noodles are soft.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, cover for another 5 to 7 minutes until cheese is melted. For an optional garnish, top with chopped basil, green onions, or chopped cilantro.