Cheesy Pesto Chicken Pasta is an easy, delicious skillet dinner that is a great way to use up leftover chicken, and serve with pasta in a cheesy sun-dried tomato pesto cream sauce.
For the last few weeks I have been cooking for my elderly Mother-in-law after she got out of the hospital. Since she prefers spicier foods, I have been trying to find the right level of spiciness that she likes. This dish was one of her favorites! She kept saying remember how to make this recipe because I want to have it again. When? Tonight!
I like this dish because it is easy, and gives me an interesting way to repurpose leftover chicken.
Just boil the pasta according to the package directions.
Add the onions, red bell peppers, and garlic. You could certainly add in more vegetables. Spinach, Asparagus, or your favorite vegetable would work in this dish.
Add the flour to thicken. You could use gluten free flour. Another gluten-free alternative would be to skip the flour and mix cornstarch with cold water, and then add that after you add the milk.
OK. I was busy cooking and missed photographing a few steps. My photography assistant, Mr. Flavor Mosaic, had some other work he had to do. So after adding the flour, milk, sun-dried-tomato pesto, and cheese, stir in the pasta and then the chicken. Stir until the chicken and pasta are coated with sauce.
Near the end stir in a couple of tablespoons sour cream to make it extra creamy.
Then it is ready to serve. I promise you will see many happy faces around the table.
For which meal will you be making this Cheesy Pesto Chicken Pasta?
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
RECOMMENDED COOKING EQUIPMENT
Cheesy Pesto Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces penne pasta or pasta of choice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups milk I used almond milk
- 2 tablespoons Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Set aside. Be sure not to overcook.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add oil. Stir in crushed red pepper. (optional)
- Stir in chopped onion and chopped red bell pepper and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until softened. Add minced garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon flour. It create a paste. Continue stirring, and slowly add milk, breaking up the lumpy paste. When the lumps are removed, stir in the sun-dried tomato pesto. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cheese. If necessary, add more milk to get to the right consistency. Add in pasta. Stir to coat pasta with sauce. Add chicken and toss to coat with sauce. Add 2 tablespoons sour cream to make the sauce creamier.
- Serve hot.
If you like this recipe be sure to try my Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto Cheesy Potatoes.
Or you might like these Cheesy Bacon Ranch Pasta Casserole.
Or how about this Bacon Spaghetti Florentine.
Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says
Michele this looks soooo tasty! I LOVE recipes like this!
My husband never thinks food is spicy enough. Bring on the extra spice.
Yvonne [Tried and Tasty] says
That sure looks simple & delicious!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
I am loving all the flavors in this pasta! And it looks so creamy and comforting. 🙂
Renee's Kitchen Adventures says
Sounds delicious. No wonder your MIL loved it! Great way to repurpose leftover chicken too!
Sandra Shaffer says
Awww, what a sweet moment. MIL approved! Quick and delicious looking. My family will love this!
Pure comfort food! I am dreaming about making this soon. Such a great meal!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads says
This recipe looks amazing! I’m all over any kind of pasta, so I know I’d love this!