Sometimes the planets align and the first time I make a recipe and it turns out perfectly. Other times, what can I say, it is a learning experience. This was one of my learning experiences but with a happy ending.
My fellow AllRecipes.com AllStar, lutzflcat, (who takes amazing photos by the way), was the first person to make the newly published recipe, Apple Cinnamon White Cake, on AllRecipes.com. Since I was drooling over her photo and she said it was an excellent recipe as written, I gave it a try.
Now I have made many cakes from scratch before, but I have never made an apple cake from scratch. So I started to make the cake as written. One thing lutzflcat mentioned that I neglected to pay attention to was to DICE the apple. I chopped it, with a few chunks included, thinking that will be good enough. I realize now that when baking I need to pay attention to details, like dicing vs chopping, in recipes. I’m primarily a cooker who occasionally bakes as well. Usually, in cooking eyeballing it is close enough. I thought everything was good.
I made a couple of other changes to lighten up the recipe. In all my baking now I use Whey Low Sugar Replacement because it is the best sugar substitute I have tried. Of all the sugar substitutes, I think it tastes the closest to sugar and has only about 25% of the calories. It is the only sugar substitute that fooled my family. I baked a carrot cake and they thought I was kidding when I said I used a sugar substitute. They were sure it was the real deal. I learned of their product from an online weight loss group, www.kimbensen.com. I tried it and loved it. So now I use Whey Low all the time. The other change I made was to use white whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour. I use that in quite a bit of my baking now when I do bake. If you have not tried it before, start with substituting 25% white whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour. You may have to bump up the amount of liquid, in this cake milk. I have already included an additional 1/4 cup milk in the ingredients.
After making the batter, chopping the apples, and mixing the brown sugar and cinnamon and assembling in the loaf pan. I put it in the oven. The recipe stated bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes. Thirty minutes go by and I check the cake. It is still batter in the middle. I check my oven temperature. It is ok. I check it at 40 minutes. Nope, not even close. I check it at 50 minutes and it is closer but still not done. I checked just before 1 hour and FINALLY, it is done.
However, I notice it is a little darker on the top than I would like. Not burned but slightly overdone. So I made a lighter version of the Vanilla Glaze on AllRecipes.com to drizzle over the top to try to “pretty i up.” By using the Whey Low Powder Sugar replacement, skim milk and omitting the butter, I lightened up the glaze. And it tasted great.
After all of that, it was still very good. After discussing it with others I think it may have been not chopping the apples finely enough that caused it to cook longer than expected. Next time I will definitely DICE that darn apple and hopefully it will not take twice as long as expected to cook. It is also possible the sugar substitute may have affected the cooking time. But with the glaze it still turned out wonderful.
Apple Cinnamon White Cake with Vanilla Glaze
APPLE CINNAMON WHITE CAKE
- 1/3 cup Whey Low Golden or brown sugar (or equal amount of sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Whey Low Granular or white sugar (or equal amount of sugar)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 1 cup vanilla glaze see recipe below
- 3/4 cup Whey Low Powder or confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons skim milk adjust as needed for best consistency
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray with baking spray or grease and flour a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- Mix Whey Low Golden or brown sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Beat Whey Low Granular or white sugar and butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until incorporated; add vanilla extract.
- Combine flour and baking powder together in a bowl; stir into creamed butter mixture. Mix the skim milk into batter until smooth. Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the apples and half the brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apple mixture into batter. Pour the remaining batter over apple layer; top with remaining apples and brown sugar mixture. Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
- To make the vanilla glaze, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle on top of cake.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.