Sweet and spicy Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread Pizza is a popular appetizer that is delicious and pairs well with sweet white wine.
Labor Day marks the end of summer and the beginning of the school year, but most importantly, it is time to celebrate with family and friends. To help you prepare for your Labor Day entertaining, Gallo Family Vineyards has invited me and other Sunday Supper bloggers to share our Labor Day recipes that pair well with either their Sweet White Blend or their Cafe Zinfandel.
In our house Labor Day marks the start of the football season, or at least the start of the football “homegating” get-togethers at our house. The Hubs, as well as my brother-in-laws, have been counting down the days for months. The countdown actually starts right after the Superbowl.
While the guys talk smack, stats, and their old frats, my sisters and I talk about food, (and family, kids, home decorating and some other things) but mostly food, recipes, and wine. When our team scores a touchdown we will cheer for the team, but the rest of the time, we’re laughing, visiting, and eating.
While the guys generally claim the outdoor grill, we girls take over the kitchen (and enjoy the air conditioning when it is 100 degrees outside) to create an appetizer just for us. OK, we may share a little bit with the guys …. if we must.
For this Labor Day, I came up with this Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread pizza that makes a great appetizer for a party or a main dish for a meal. It takes advantage of my recently published recipe, Mango Habanero Salsa, that uses sweet fresh mangoes and spicy habanero peppers.
What I love about this Mango Habanero Flatbread is that it is so quick and easy to make. With only a few ingredients and a few minutes, you can make a gourmet sweet and spicy appetizer that is sure to please all your family and friends. While it may be gourmet, it is still pizza; and who doesn’t love pizza?
I use Naan bread, a flat leavened bread from Northwest India that is baked in a clay oven, as the crust because I love the taste and texture of the bread. You can find Naan bread at most large grocery stores. I found it in the deli department at my local grocery store.
I recommend that you start by pre-baking the Naan bread in a 400 degree oven for about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, add the peeled and rinsed shrimp in a bowl and sprinkle them with freshly cracked black pepper, salt, and cajun seasoning.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add a tablespoon each of oil and butter. Then toss in the peeled and rinsed shrimp, and let it cook for about 1 – 2 minutes and then turn and cook on the other side for about two minutes. I add minced garlic to the skillet after I turn the shrimp. After shrimp turns pink, toss to evenly coat with the seasoning. The garlic and cajun seasoning combine with the oil and butter to make a sauce. Remove from heat.
Add the shrimp, garlic and sauce on top of the pre-bake naan bread. Sprinkle on crumbled Queso Fresco Mexican cheese. You could also use crumbled feta cheese as well. I add chopped green onions. Then bake at 425 degrees F. for about 7 – 8 minutes. Every oven is different. You may need to adjust the cooking time slightly. Then remove from the oven and cut into slices, and enjoy a slice with a glass of Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend!
I like to pair the Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread with the Gallo Family Vineyards Sweet White Blend because it is light-bodied with peach, tropical fruit and honeydew flavors, and pairs well with dishes using fresh fruit, like mango.
Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread #SundaySupper
- 2 naan flatbreads you could use regular pizza crust
- 1 pound medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup crumbled Quesco Fresco Feta could be used
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup prepared Mango Habanero Salsa
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare the Mango Habanero Salsa.
- Sprinkle water on the naan bread. Pre-bake the naan bread for about 3 - 5 minutes or per package instructions. When finished, remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl add the shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss with olive oil and cajun seasoning.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes, and turn to cook the other side. Add minced garlic and stir continuously for about a minute. Stir to cover shrimp with butter and garlic.
- Pour shrimp over naan bread. Divide evenly between the two flatbreads.
- Sprinkle Queso Fresco (or feta) cheese and green onions on top of each flatbread.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes (time may vary depending on oven.)
- Remove from oven.
- Add 1/4 cup mango habanero salsa to each flatbread.
- Slice and serve.
Check out these other great recipes to help you prepare for your Labor Day entertaining.
For your Labor Day feast:
- Arugula Fig and Goat Cheese Salad by Family Foodie
- Caprese Fruit Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta Salad by The Crumby Cupcake
- Five Fruity Wine Spritzers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Grilled Flank Steak Pinwheels by Palatable Pastime
- Grilled Shrimp Burgers with Quick Remoulade Sauce by The Weekend Gourmet
- Hatch Chile Avocado Cream Dip by Magnolia Days
- Harissa Spiced Chicken Kabobs by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread by Flavor Mosaic
- Peach Barbecue Chicken Wings by Life Tastes Good
- Salmon Bagel Sliders with Strawberry Jalapeno Cream Cheese and Basil Aioli by Food Done Light
- Sunny Side Up Frittata with Ham by Recipe For Perfection
- Tuscan Panzanella Salad by Shockingly Delicious
To sweeten the holiday:
- Blackberry Buckle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chocolate Strawberry Cream Puff Bites by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Hasty Chocolate Pudding by Nosh My Way
- Raspberry Lamingtons by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Raspberry Upside Down Cake by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Summer Fruit Tart by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Tropical Angel Food Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Vanilla Bean Roasted Peaches by Alida’s Kitchen
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Compensation was provided by Gallo Family Vineyards via Sunday Supper, LLC. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Gallo Family Vineyards.