Cajun Shrimp and Sausage, combined with vibrant fresh vegetables, make an easy and delicious sheet pan dinner.
Whether served by itself as a low-carb dinner or paired with dirty rice for a Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Bowl, it is certain to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Whether you are trying to eat better or love Cajun Recipes, like our Slow Cooker Jambalaya, or like the ease of a sheet pan dinner, this Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner will make you and your taste buds very happy.
- Flavor – Cajun Shrimp and Sausage is bursting with flavor from the shrimp, vegetables, and Cajun seasoning.
- Fast – From start to finish, you can have dinner on the table in 30 minutes.
- Easy – With only a few simple ingredients and not a lot of fuss, this recipe is so easy that anyone can make it, no matter your cooking skill level.
- Mix And Match – You can switch out the type of sausage, the seasoning, or the type of vegetables that you like to change things up. For example, you could use taco seasoning instead of Cajun seasoning, or Andouille sausage instead of Kielbasa sausage.
It is super flavorful with Cajun Seasoning and Kielbasa sausage and shrimp, yet is a wholesome and balanced low carb meal with lots of vegetables, including asparagus, squash, zucchini, and red bell peppers. I think it is one of my favorite Seafood Recipes, as well as one of my favorite Sheet Pan Dinners.
What Type of Shrimp Should I Use?
Use thawed, peeled JUMBO shrimp, that is deveined and has the tails removed, so the shrimp will cook for approximately the same time as the chopped vegetables. If you use smaller shrimp, they will cook faster and you will have to adjust the cooking time.
If you can find them, I recommend buying Wild Caught Shrimp vs Farm-raised shrimp because they taste better. Unless you live right on the coast and can buy fresh shrimp as it comes off the boat, I recommend buying frozen shrimp instead of fresh shrimp because you never know how long the shrimp has sat out.
You can thaw frozen shrimp in about 5 minutes by running COLD water over it. Don’t use hot water because that could cook the shrimp.
What Type Of Sausage Is Used In This Recipe
I used kielbasa sausage. However, you could use andouille sausage with more of a Cajun or Creole kick, or you could go with chicken or turkey sausage to lighten up the dish even more.
Why Type of Cajun Seasoning Should I Use?
You can use either store-bought Cajun Seasoning, but if you do, I recommend buying a reduced-sodium version if you can find it because the store-bought Cajun Seasoning uses a LOT of salt. For many people, it can be too salty.
I recommend making your own Cajun seasoning. It is easy and takes less than 5 minutes. I use my Homemade Cajun Seasoning Recipe, with paprika, cayenne, and a few more seasonings that you likely already have on hand. It is delicious and versatile because you can customize it to your taste. For example, you can adjust the amount of cayenne to make it as spicy or as mild as you like. In addition, you can adjust the amount of salt so it has enough salt but not too much.
How To Make Cajun Shrimp and Sausage
Below I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions in case you don’t have a specific ingredient on hand. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, be sure to scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Shrimp. I recommend using the jumbo size shrimp so that the shrimp will cook for about the same time as the sausages. If you use smaller shrimp, then you may have to adjust the cooking time for the shrimp because the smaller ones will cook faster.
- Sausage. I recommend using Kielbasa sausage or Andouille sausage for this Cajun recipe.
- Red bell peppers
- Zucchini squash
- Yellow squash
- Olive oil
- Cajun seasoning – you can use either Homemade Cajun Seasoning or store-bought seasoning.
- Place shrimp, sausage & all vegetables in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the olive oil and cajun seasoning and mix well. All ingredients should be evenly coated.
- Pour everything, except the shrimp, onto a large baking sheet, spread evenly. Some ingredients will be slightly overtopping others.
- Place in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Then add the seasoned shrimp and cook for another 5 – 7 minutes.
- Size Matters. Cut the vegetables to approximately the same size so that they cook evenly and all pieces will cook for the same amount of time.
- Cooking Times Vary. Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the shrimp, and the size and type of vegetables you use, and how large of pieces of vegetables you are using. Check the shrimp and vegetables after 10 minutes, remove the shrimp, sausage, and vegetables that are cooked, and continue cooking any vegetables that have not finished cooking.
What To Serve With Cajun Shrimp And Sausage
I like to serve it with Dirty Rice, Rice Pilaf, Creole Green Beans, or Maque Choux.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Mexican Shrimp Salad
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Spicy Pesto Shrimp Primavera
- Blackened Bang Bang Shrimp
- Tijuana Shrimp Dip Nachos
- Mango Habanero Shrimp Flatbread
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | BlogLovin | Instagram
Cajun Shrimp and Sausage
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 14 oz sausage. sliced (Andouille or Kielbasa)
- 2 red bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 2 zucchini (sliced into 1/4" slices)
- 2 yellow squash (sliced into 1/4" slices)
- 1 large bundle asparagus (Each stalk cut into thirds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (use recipe or store-bought)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray or line with foil.
- Place shrimp, sausage & all vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Pour in the olive oil and cajun seasoning and mix well. All ingredients should be evenly coated.
- Pour everything, EXCEPT the shrimp, onto a large baking sheet, spread evenly. Some ingredients will be slightly overtopping others.
- Place in the preheated oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Using pot holders, remove the sheet pan with the vegetables and sausage from the oven. Add the seasoned shrimp on the sheet pan with the vegetables, and return to the oven and cook for 5 to 7 more minutes.
- When cooking time is done, remove from the oven and serve immediately!
- Be sure to use a large baking sheet, approximately 18×13 inches.
- This dish pairs excellently with cajun rice and/or dirty rice!
Leave a Reply