Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes are easy to make upside down cupcakes made with bananas instead of pineapple, and are a perfect mini dessert for Mardi Gras (aka Fat Tuesday) or any party.
It is January 1st and I am still in party mode. I promise I will post some healthier recipes soon, but today is all about these gorgeous Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes. They make a perfect dessert to pair with Slow Cooker Jambalaya.
I originally made these to take to my sister’s house for a Thanksgiving holiday dinner. They look difficult to make but are really easy. Add melted butter, brown sugar, rum (optional), and chopped pecans to the bottom of cupcake tins. Top with sliced bananas, and pour the cake batter over them and bake. Easy!
However, because I had so many other details to take care of at Thanksgiving; and because I was making sure my elderly mother-in-law was ok, I walked out the door and left these sitting on the table by the door. Tragedy …. for those at the party.
My husband went back early to be with his elderly mother on the holiday. I stayed at the party a little longer visiting. The Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes stayed on the table by the door at our house ….. or so I thought.
I made a batch of 12 of these cute little Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes. When I got back to the house, every single one of them were GONE! The only evidence remaining were some crumbs and nuts. Mr. Flavor Mosaic and his Mom ate every last one of them! I’m not sure, but I would not be surprised if our yellow lab, Rosie, got one as well. However, she’s not talking.
I will be making a double batch of these Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes for Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday, and hope to be able to try some of them then. Be sure to bake some for your party, but make sure to try some before the party because there won’t be any left after the party.
Will you be making these yummy little Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes for Fat Tuesday aka Mardi Gras or can you wait that long?
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Bananas Foster Upside Down Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter plus 1-1/2 tablespoons softened and divided
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray each cupcake tin with baking spray.
- In each cupcake tin, add a pat of butter to the bottom of each muffin tin. Bake in the preheated oven for a couple of minutes and remove when the butter is melted.
- Add a 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to the bottom of each cupcake tin. If you like, add in a 1/2 teaspoon of rum. (optional)
- Sprinkle with two teaspoons of chopped pecans.
- Cut bananas diagonally into 1/8-inch-thick slices; place 3 to 4 slices over brown sugar mixture in each cupcake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar and remaining 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Add milk, buttermilk, and vanilla; beat just until blended.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Add the flour mixture into the bowl with the egg mixture and mix until blended.
- Spoon the batter into each cupcake tin until each is about 2/3rd full.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- As soon as these come out of the oven, invert the cupcake pan onto a lined cookie sheet, and leave the cupcake tin on top of the cupcakes for a minute or two. Lift the cupcake tin. If they stick, tap on the bottom of the tins, or run a butter knife around the edges to loosen.
- Serve individually or with ice cream.
If you like this recipe, be sure to try my Southern Banana Pudding Parfaits!
Be sure to check out my other Mardi Gras – Fat Tuesday recipes!
If you are looking for more desserts, check out these other cake and cupcake recipes!
Frank Mosher says
Firstly, Happy New Year! Secondly, to me, the beauty of Bananas Foster is the flambé part. . Can one flambé these? Thirdly, great recipe ideas! cheers!!
Does this make 12 or 24? Reading it if you use 2 tsp each of brown sugar & pecans in 24 muffin cups, shouldn’t they be a cup each? Brown sugar is a cup, but the pecans are half. 1/2 tsp rum in 24 muffin cups would be 4 Tbs, but recipe is 2 Tbs. I can figure those things out, but I am not sure if the cake batter recipe is for 12 or 24.