This Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is an easy, delicious, moist pumpkin cake with a cream cheese frosting that the whole family will love. Tastes as good or better than the famous Pumpkin Roll Cake without the hassle of rolling the cake.
For Thanksgiving a couple of years ago I decided it was time to
tackle make the famous Pumpkin Cake Roll. I chatted with my online foodie friends to get all the necessary tips for successfully rolling the pumpkin cake.
With all my handy tips from my friends I bake the cake in the oven. No problem with that. However, when it came time to roll the cake….EPIC FAIL. I tried all the tricks. The cake broke…not just cracked but broke into about three pieces. So as any good foodie does when a recipe does not work out, we turn it into something else. That year we had the BEST pumpkin trifle you ever had in your life (made from that failed pumpkin roll cake).
Why do I tell this story? It was because of that event that this year I decided not to mess with a cake roll, just bake a cake. It tastes just as good. It is easier to make, and easier to serve, and tastes great…and everyone is happy.Win. Win. Win.
When people think of a sheet cake they usually think of a cake in a 10 x 15 pan. However, you can also bake it in a 9×13 pan like I did for a taller cake. Just bake it for about 35 to 40 minutes instead of 25 to 30 minutes. Either way, it tastes delicious.
So why did I make this Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting unrolled? Because that’s just how I roll. 🙂
Now it’s your turn. When are you going to make this yummy Pumpkin Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting?
Thank you for visiting. Don’t forget to Subscribe to Flavor Mosaic to have recipes delivered to your inbox. Follow Flavor Mosaic on Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter to stay up to date with the latest happenings!
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F).
- In a medium bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, oil, and pumpkin until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven. Cool before frosting.
- To make the frosting, beat together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in vanilla. Add confectioners' sugar a little at a time (or you will have a giant white cloud of powdered sugar), beating until mixture is smooth. Spread evenly on top of the cooled cake. Sprinkle with chopped pecans or walnuts. Cut into squares.
If you like this recipe, check out my other pumpkin recipes on the blog.
For another pumpkin cake recipe, try my Pumpkin Tres Leches Cake.
You will see recipes like this Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Coffee Cake.
Or you might like this Pumpkin Praline Bread Pudding.
For a healthier alternative, how about this Pumpkin Pie Yogurt Parfait, great for breakfast or as a dessert.