Love your Mexican food but want to eat healthy? Then my Mexican Quinoa is perfect for you. The Mexican Quinoa is a healthy, high protein, gluten-free alternative to your favorite Spanish rice or Mexican rice dish, but it tastes just as delicious.
This is one of my favorite healthy, gluten-free dishes. Try it and you would never guess it was healthy. It goes perfectly with your favorite Spanish, Mexican, or Southwestern Chicken or fish dish. I’ve served it with chicken enchiladas and fish tacos.
I sometimes have food sensitivities. So lately I have been trying to identify foods that set me off and foods that don’t. Therefore, I am currently trying more gluten-free recipes. You can use packaged taco seasoning mix or make your own homemade taco seasoning recipe.
I add a jalapeño in addition to the tomato and chilies. However, if you would prefer to reduce the spice level, leave out the jalapeño and only use the diced tomatoes and chilies. You could even just use diced tomatoes and green bell peppers if you prefer no heat.
Give this recipe a try. It is delicious, flavorful, spicy and healthy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chile peppers (such as RO*TEL®)
- 3 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning or 1 envelope taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir quinoa and onion in the hot oil until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and jalapeño pepper to quinoa mixture and cook until garlic is fragrant and slightly softened, 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Mix undrained can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, taco seasoning mix, and chicken broth into quinoa mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in chopped cilantro.
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.
If you like this recipe try my spicy, Mexican Orange Guajillo Glazed Sweet Potatoes.
Want more quinoa recipes? Try these awesome Quinoa recipes from some of my favorite bloggers.
The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch: Quinoa Salad with Mango, Black Beans, and Cilantro Lime Dressing
Renee’s Kitchen Adventures: Mushroom Quinoa Stuffing
Healthy – Delicious: Chipotle Quinoa Fritters