Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower transforms everyday cauliflower into a deliciously sweet, spicy and smoky appetizer or side dish that is certain to convert the most avid cauliflower hater into a cauliflower lover!
With this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower recipe you can expect to find:
- A new way to serve cauliflower to your family and friends.
- A delicious sweet and spicy recipe that can be served either as an appetizer or side dish.
- A healthy cauliflower recipe that can fit into a multitude of diets and eating plans.
- Tips on how to make this cauliflower recipe gluten-free and dairy free.
- How to make a delicious sweet, spicy, and smoky sauce using your favorite barbecue sauce.
- Ideas about other dips and dishes to serve with this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower
This Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower recipe will change how you view cauliflower. I do love cauliflower without sauces as well, as you can tell with my Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Cauliflower, which is delicious. However, this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower turns the ordinary into extraordinary. I’m not kidding. It is that good. I admit that I might be a teensy bit biased. However, my family agrees with me. Mr. Flavor Mosaic, who is not a cauliflower lover by any means, loved these sweet and spicy bites of Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower!
The ongoing battle of trying to eat healthier continues. For us it is a battle. I grew up on Texas style barbecue, Tex-Mex and meat and potatoes. That is not exactly the healthiest of diets, but was it was so good. Mr. Flavor Mosaic grew up on traditional Southern style cooking, which is absolutely delicious, but not healthy. However, we both love these Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower bites because they are mostly healthy and crazy delicious! I get to give these healthy little bites of cauliflower a Texas barbecue twist. The addition of the chipotles in adobo sauce gives the sauce a nice smoky flavor with a bit of heat.
While I use regular all-purpose flour and low fat milk in this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower recipe, you could certainly make this dish gluten-free by using gluten-free flour and gluten-free barbecue sauce, such as Stubb’s Legendary Bar-B-Q sauce, which is one of my favorite bottled barbecue sauces, or you could make your own barbecue sauce. Also be sure to read the label of your chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. La Castena, Goya, and San Marcos brands are gluten-free.
If you want to make this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower dairy-free, use a dairy-free milk, such as almond, soy or coconut milk.
What really makes this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower outstanding is the sauce. The combination of barbecue sauce, maple syrup, and chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce really gives this cauliflower a spicy, smoky flavor that goes perfectly with a cool ranch or salsa ranch salad dressing that can be used as a dipping sauce.
I have to thank Marion, at Life Tastes Good, for her Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Bites recipe because it was the inspiration for this Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower recipe. Be sure to check out her site for some amazing recipes as well.
What are you going to serve with your Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower? If you need ideas, be sure to check out the recipes at the bottom of this post, and check out my Pinterest board.
Follow Flavor Mosaic’s board Flavor Mosaic Long Pins on Pinterest.
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Email | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower
- Cooking spray
- 1 head cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 3/4 cup flour can use gluten-free
- 1 cup milk can use dairy-free, such as almond or coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Maple Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 - 2 chipotle chilies plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce (add more for more heat or less to reduce heat)
- Preheat oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with foil. On top of the foil-covered baking sheet, place an oven-safe baking rack, and spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine 3/4 cup flour, 1 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon each of black pepper and garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Whisk until lumps are gone and batter has thickened. Add the cauliflower florets into the bowl with the batter, and toss to coat the cauliflower thoroughly.
- Place the coated cauliflower in one layer on the baking rack on the pan. Leave enough space between each cauliflower floret so none is touching. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower starts to brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, mix together the Maple Chipotle Barbecue Sauce. In a medium bowl add 2/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce, 1/3 cup maple syrup (the amount may need to be adjusted depending on the sweetness of the barbecue sauce), and 1 - 2 chipotle chilies (depending on how spicy you like it), and 1 tablespoon adobo sauce.
- When the cauliflower is ready, remove it from the oven and toss it with the Maple Chipotle Barbecue sauce so it is thoroughly coated.
- Spray the baking rack with cooking spray again and place the Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower on the baking rack, and place back in the oven. Bake for 10 more minutes, or until browned to your liking. Remove from oven and carefully transfer the hot Maple Chipotle Barbecue Cauliflower to a serving dish. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as ranch dressing. I served it with a Salsa Ranch Dressing!
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out these other amazing recipes:
Garlic Parmesan Oven Roasted Cauliflower
Maple Chipotle Barbecue Pork Tenderloin
Dr Pepper Maple Mustard Chipotle BBQ Chicken
Sounds yummy! Cauliflower is so versatile and such a tasty treat!!
I love cauliflower. It is extremely versatile.
We love cauliflower like this. The sauce you made sounds fantastic.
Thanks Christie! It was delicious.
Renee's Kitchen Adventures says
What a fun way to enjoy cauliflower!
Sheena @ Hot Eats and Cool Reads says
These flavors are seriously incredible! What a great way to prepare cauliflower!
Mary Ellen says
Looks so good! Love the flavors!!!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
I LOVE this!! My mom brought over some buffalo cauliflower prepared like this for game day one Sunday, and I was impressed. I bet this maple chipotle BBQ version is even better! 🙂
Erica (@Erica's Recipes) says
I have seen buffalo cauliflower but not sweet bbq cauliflower. Love the addition of maple!
Do you use pure maple syrup or the fake stuff?
Hi Christina I use real maple syrup.