These grilled Barbecue Chicken Kabobs and vegetables are skewered, covered in a spice rub, and then brushed with a sweet, spicy, smoky, and tangy BBQ sauce that is sure to be a hit at your summer BBQ or picnic.
Nothing is more All-American than Barbecue Chicken Kabobs on the grill. It is one of our family favorites for the summer. The barbeque sauce gives the chicken that sweet and tangy kick and tastes better than any other type of sauce in my opinion.
Many years ago I discovered how easy it was to make your own barbecue sauce. It quickly became our favorite because I could tweak the ingredients of the barbecue sauce to our taste preference.
However, these Barbecue Chicken Kabobs are our favorite healthy recipe. We add chunks of fresh onions, and red and green bell peppers that taste delicious covered in the barbecue sauce and charred on the grill with that smoky flavor.
Worried about making your own barbecue sauce? Don’t be. You likely already have all the main ingredients in your pantry. Ketchup, mustard (I prefer whole grain mustard), vinegar, brown sugar, and worcestershire.
I like to add a couple of other ingredients, which may not in your pantry and that is McCormick’s Mesquite Grill Seasoning (which you can buy online.) I like to mix this in the barbecue sauce but you could also sprinkle it directly on the chicken.
Another ingredient I use is liquid smoke. People either love it or hate it. It is optional. If you don’t like it, then just leave it out and the barbecue sauce and chicken will still be delicious.
The mesquite seasoning reminds me of the Texas Barbecue around San Antonio Texas that was smoked over mesquite wood and had that delicious smoky mesquite flavor.
Now it is your turn to grill these Barbecue Chicken Kabobs. Give it a try and let me know in the comments how you liked it if you tweaked it, and what is your favorite way to grill Barbecue Chicken Kabobs.
If you prefer to stay cool indoors during the summer, then try Baked BBQ Chicken.
Save to Pinterest
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow me on:
Barbecue Chicken Kabobs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds Chicken breast cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 red sweet peppers chopped into bite-size chunks (not too small)
- 2 green bell peppers chopped into bite-size chunks (not too small)
- If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before placing them on the grill.
- Oil the grill and preheat to medium high heat.
- Place chicken, onions, and red and green bell peppers in large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Stir together all of the Spice Rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the spice rub on the chicken and vegetables and toss evenly to coat. Thread chicken and vegetables onto skewers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan add all of the ingredients for the barbecue Sauce. Heat over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Grill chicken and vegetables for approximately 8-10 minutes, rotating every couple minutes until the chicken is browned and the vegetables are slightly charred on each side and chicken is cooked through.
- Brush the chicken and vegetables with the barbecue sauce, turn and cook for about one minute, brush the next side and cook for one minute. Repeat until all sides have been covered with barbeue sauce and cooked. Serve the remaining barbecue sauce on the side.
- Serve with remaining barbecue sauce.