Spicy Corn Chowder Light is a perfect hearty soup for a cold winter night, which is what 90% of the country is going to experience in the next couple of nights. So now is the perfect time to make this corn chowder.
What is even better about this corn chowder is that it is Weight Watcher friendly. After all the Christmas cookies and goodies we had last month, I especially need a lighter dinner that won’t go straight to my thighs.
How can chowder be Weight Watcher friendly? By making a few substitutions to reduce the fat, such as using evaporated skim milk instead of using heavy cream, and a lower calorie yogurt based light margarine instead of butter.
I like the soup spicy. However, if you don’t like spicy, leave out the jalapeños and cayenne.
Give it a try so you have a hot comforting corn chowder for the upcoming cold winter nights.
- ½ vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped (adjust amount according to taste)
- 2 TBL reduced fat light margarine (such as Brummel and Brown)
- 3 TBL all purpose flour
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- 1-1/2 cups non-fat milk
- 1 (15-1/2 oz) can corn with diced green and red peppers, drained
- ⅓ of a (20 oz) package of frozen hashed brown potatoes, such as Simply Potatoes (southwest style), thawed
- Black Pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste (optional)
- In a skillet over medium heat melt 2 tablespoons of light margarine.
- Add the chopped onion, red and green bell peppers, jalapenos and garlic.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of all purpose flour until it becomes almost a thick paste.
- Pour in the evaporated skim milk and stir.
- Pour mixture into a large pot.
- Add the corn and shredded potatoes.
- Gradually stir in skim milk until you achieve the desired thickness.
- Add black pepper and cayenne to taste.
- Let the chowder simmer for at least 20 minutes.
Like this recipe? Try our other soups:
If you like this recipe, subscribe via email and have them delivered directly to your inbox.