Banish boring garlic bread from your kitchen forever! This pesto garlic bread recipe is super easy to make and bursts with incredible flavor.
It’s a perfect appetizer for any occasion, whether you’re having a family dinner, a party, a pasta night, or a romantic evening with your partner.
If you love Pesto Butter, Italian Garlic Breadsticks, and our Jalapeno Popper Cheesy Bread, then you’ll love this Pesto Garlic Bread recipe. It is one of our favorite Pesto Recipes as well as Appetizer Recipes.
In this post, we’ll show you how to make this Cheesy Pesto Garlic Bread, provide you with some creative uses, and answer some frequently asked questions.
Table of Contents
What Is Pesto Garlic Bread?
Pesto Garlic Bread is a classic bread recipe with a twist. It’s made with a crusty loaf that is sliced in half and coated with a heavenly mixture of pesto and butter infused with garlic.
This combination creates a mouthwatering bread that is packed with flavor and nutritional benefits.
Why You’ll Love Pesto Garlic Bread
- Easy Recipe – With only 2 ingredients that you can easily make or find at grocery stores, anyone can make this pesto bread, no matter their cooking experience.
- Flavor – Garlic bread is already bursting with flavor, but with the addition of Pesto, that takes the flavor over the top!
- Budget-Friendly – This recipe is a great way to use up leftover bread and pesto and make those grocery bill dollars go further.
What You’ll Need
The affiliate links below will allow you to see the product on Amazon.com. If you purchase one of the items, I will receive a very small commission on the product, which does not increase the price.
Below, I discuss the ingredients and possible substitutions if you don’t have a specific ingredient. However, if you are looking for the specific measurements of each ingredient, scroll down to the bottom of this article, just above the comments, for the printable recipe card, which includes all the ingredients and the specific amounts of each one.
- Crusty loaf of bread – This could be a French Baguette, French Bread, Italian Bread, or other crusty bread.
- Pesto Butter – You’ll need approximately 1 cup of the Pesto Butter Recipe, which has pesto sauce, butter, parmesan cheese, and salt. When making the pesto butter recipe, you can use either homemade pesto sauce or store bought.
How To Make Pesto Garlic Bread
- Prep – Preheat the oven and line the baking sheet with parchment paper
- Cut – Cut bread in half lengthwise and place on prepared baking sheet
- Mix – Mix pesto butter ingredients together until combined
- Butter – Slather the pesto butter on both sides of the bread
- Bake – Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly toasted.
When it comes to making garlic bread, the type of bread you use is an important factor to consider.
The best type of bread to use for garlic bread is crusty bread with a chewy texture. This type of bread will hold up well to the pesto garlic butter mixture without becoming soggy or falling apart. French bread, Italian bread, and sourdough bread are all great options to use for garlic bread.
Ultimately, the choice of bread is a matter of personal preference, so feel free to experiment and find the type of bread that works best for you.
Here are some ideas for additional ingredients you can mix into the pesto garlic bread recipe to make it more flavorful.
Simply mix your desired ingredients into the pesto butter mixture, then spread it onto the bread halves and bake according to the instructions. Enjoy!
- Roasted garlic: Roasted garlic adds a delicious depth of flavor to the pesto garlic bread. To roast garlic, cut off the top of a whole garlic bulb to expose the cloves, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil. Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 30-40 minutes or until soft and caramelized. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves into the pesto butter mixture and mix well.
- Sundried tomatoes: Sundried tomatoes add a sweet and tangy flavor to the pesto garlic bread. Chop the sundried tomatoes into small pieces and mix them into the pesto butter mixture.
- Red pepper flakes: Red pepper flakes add a spicy kick to the pesto garlic bread. Mix a pinch of red pepper flakes into the pesto butter mixture.
- Lemon zest: Lemon zest adds a bright, citrusy flavor to the pesto garlic bread. Grate the zest of a lemon and mix it into the pesto butter mixture.
Here are some ideas for toppings that you can add to the pesto garlic bread recipe to make it even more delicious:
- Shredded mozzarella cheese: Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the pesto butter and bake until melted and bubbly. This will add cheesy goodness to the bread.
- Tomatoes: Slice fresh tomatoes and arrange them on top of the pesto garlic bread before baking. The tomatoes will add a juicy burst of flavor and color.
- Olives: Chop up some pitted olives and sprinkle them over the pesto garlic bread before baking. This will add a salty and briny flavor to the bread.
- Prosciutto: Arrange thin slices of prosciutto on top of the pesto garlic bread before baking. This will add a savory and meaty flavor to the bread.
- Roasted red peppers: Chop up some roasted red peppers and sprinkle them over the pesto garlic bread before baking. This will add a sweet and smoky flavor to the bread.
- Balsamic glaze: Drizzle balsamic glaze over the pesto garlic bread after baking. This will add a sweet and tangy flavor to the bread.
Creative Ways To Serve Garlic Bread
Pesto Garlic Bread is a versatile dish that can be used in many different ways. Here are some creative ideas to try:
- Use it as a base for bruschetta.
- Top it with your favorite cheese for a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
- Serve it as a side dish with soup or salad.
- Cut it into small pieces and serve as an appetizer.
Pesto Garlic Bread should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
Yes, you can use any type of bread you like. However, a crusty loaf works best as it holds up well to the pesto and butter.
Yes, you can make it ahead of time and reheat it in the oven.
Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Pesto Garlic Bread is a delicious and flavorful dish that is easy to make and versatile. Whether you’re looking for a new side dish, an appetizer, or a base for a sandwich, Pesto Garlic Bread is sure to impress.
With its easy preparation and delicious taste, it’s no wonder why this dish has become a favorite for so many people. So, go ahead and try it out for yourself!
More Bread Recipes
- Asiago Cheese Focaccia Bread – An Italian bread topped with fresh herbs and asiago cheese.
- Italian Breadsticks – A copycat recipe of Olive Garden Restaurant breadsticks.
- Irish Soda Bread Muffins – Small savory Irish Soda Bread muffins with cheddar and jalapenos.
- Soft Herb Pull-Apart Rolls – Soft, buttery, pull-apart rolls with garlic, parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and parsley on top.
If you like this recipe or make this recipe, be sure to leave a comment, rate the recipe, and follow us on:
The Best Pesto Garlic Bread Recipe
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb loaf of bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup pesto butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Slice bread in half lengthwise through the middle to make 2 halves and place bread halves on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Make pesto butter.
- Spread pesto butter on both sides of the bread.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
- Slice and serve warm.
- The best type of bread to use for garlic bread is crusty bread with a chewy texture. This type of bread will hold up well to the pesto garlic butter mixture without becoming soggy or falling apart. French bread, Italian bread, and sourdough bread are all great options to use for garlic bread.
- How to Store Pesto Garlic Bread? Pesto Garlic Bread should be stored in an airtight container or wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator. It will last for up to 3-4 days. For longer storage, wrap tightly and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Can I freeze Pesto Garlic Bread? Yes, you can freeze it. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.