I transformed the traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe into smaller muffins and added a Texas twist with cheddar and jalapenos.
With St Patrick’s Day around the corner, everyone pulls out their Irish recipes. Yes. I know. These are not traditional Irish Soda Bread.
History of Irish Soda Bread
The true traditional Irish Soda Bread only has flour, baking soda, salt and sour milk. These days we use buttermilk. However, over the years in America, currants and caraway seeds were added and called traditional Irish Bread. Although technically the Irish would call it tea bread.
I hope the Irish don’t hate me for this. I have tampered with the beloved traditional Irish soda bread. I even have some Irish in my ancestry. There is a possibility that I may be disowned from the Irish clan because of this recipe.
However, these Irish Soda Bread Muffins with Cheddar and Jalapenos are so good that I will take my chances. If any of those Irish live in Texas then I think they will love the Texas spin that I put on these Irish Soda Bread Muffins.
You see in Texas everything is better if you add cheddar and jalapenos! Have you checked out our Tex-Mex food? Smother Mexican food in melted cheddar cheese and jalapenos and it becomes Tex-Mex.
Does that mean I have created a new category of food? Tex-Irish? I like it. That represents me. What else will fit in this new Tex-Irish category?
Can we transform Irish Stew into Tex-Irish Stew? How about Shephard’s Pie into a Tex-Irish Shephard’s Pie, or I actually might prefer a Tex-Mex Shepherd’s Pie. Then is it still technically a Shepherd’s Pie?
Who cares what label you give it if it tastes good!
These Irish Soda Bread Muffins with Cheddar and Jalapenos not only taste good, they taste great! So whether you call them Irish Soda Bread Muffins or scones or biscuits, they are delicious!
What will you serve with these Irish Soda Bread Muffins with Cheddar and Jalapenos?
Pin To Save
Love this recipe? Receive FREE recipes in your inbox!
I want FREE Recipes!
If you like this recipe, be sure to follow us on:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 4 jalapenos seeded and diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners, or spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Whisk together buttermilk and egg together in a small bowl. Stir into flour mixture. Fold butter into the batter.
- Stir in shredded Cheddar ad diced jalapenos.
- Spoon batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 20 to 30 minutes.