I am no longer the head chef in my kitchen anymore. No, I have been demoted to Sous Chef. Our sweet yellow lab, Rosie, has taken over as head chef.
Rosie takes food very seriously. She loves food. She lives for food; and supervises my cooking while laying on the kitchen floor. She does not have to see the food to know when it is ready. Her nose will tell her when it is done; and she has an excellent sniffer.
For example, for this recipe I had the turkey italian sausage, onions, green, red, and yellow bell peppers with salsa simmering in a skillet on the stove. I had to take a call in the other room for work. Next thing I know Rosie came to get me and was tap dancing and barking at me like she has to go outside REALLY bad.
So she ran to the kitchen; but instead of running to the back door, she ran to the stove and did her happy dance in front of the stove, looking at me, and then looking back at the stove, and then back at me.
I checked the sausage, peppers and onions…….and it was perfectly cooked, thanks to Rosie. She wanted to ensure that dinner did not burn. Why have a timer when I have Rosie! Not only does she have her own internal clock, her nose is a kitchen timer!
Thanks to Rosie, we had a delicious dinner of turkey italian sausage, with sautéed onions, green, red, and yellow bell peppers, with salsa, and topped with cheese and pico de gallo on corn tortillas. The result are delicious Italian Sausage, Peppers, & Onions Tacos. The italian and Mexican flavors blended together marvelously. As an added bonus, it was also quick, easy, delicious, and relatively healthy.
And did Rosie get any of this dinner? No, because it is too spicy for her. However, she did get extra treats, and that made her happy.
Rosie has now let me know that she would prefer the job of taste tester instead of head chef. So I get my job back. She has requested T-bone steaks, brisket, pork tenderloin, roasted chicken and salmon.
So stay tuned to this blog for future Rosie requested recipes.
Italian Sausage, Peppers, & Onions Tacos
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 package hot italian turkey sausage links
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups salsa
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 cup pico de gallo optional
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil and brown the turkey sausage links for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the turkey sausage and set aside.
- Add sliced onions to the skillet and saute for about 5 minutes or until they are soft.
- Add the red, green, and yellow sliced bell peppers to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes more.
- While the vegetables are cooking, slice the turkey sausage into about 1/2 inch slices and add the turkey sausage back into the pan.
- Add salsa to the pan and stir. Let simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes (or until your dog notifies you that it is ready!)
- Place 1/6th of the turkey mixture on each corn tortilla. Top each taco with shredded cheese and pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and cilantro) or your favorite toppings.
Want more? Try these delicious recipes: