Chicken in Pesto Cream includes delicious savory sautéed chicken, with a creamy pesto sauce, and served over pasta with tomatoes and peas, and topped parmesan cheese.
I LOVE pesto! It adds such flavor and depth to my favorite foods. The basil, oil, parmesan, and pine nuts in pesto combine for such a unique nutty flavor.
For a weekday supper, I cheat and used prepared pesto. To me it is not cheating because tastes amazing, and is a fantastic time saver.
The recipe is written for boneless, skinless chicken breast halves but chicken breast tenders or boneless, skinless chicken thighs would work as well. I believe in using ingredients you have on hand. I also used elbow macaroni because that is what I had on hand, but any pasta would work.
I love adding additional vegetables to the dish. I added diced tomatoes and green peas but feel free to use any vegetables.
Did I mention you can make this recipe in 30 minutes! Whoohoo!
For which weeknight are you going to make this Chicken in Pesto Cream?
Chicken in Pesto Cream #WeekdaySupper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni pasta or pasta of choice
- 14.5 diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano, drained
- 1 cup cooked peas drained
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Place chicken breast halves between two pieces of plastic wrap, and pound thin. Remove from plastic.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- When the skillet is hot, add the chicken and cook on one side for about 5 to 7 minutes. Turn and and cook on the other side for another 5 - 7 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Add butter and allow to melt.
- Add flour and stir to combine with butter until it is like a thick paste.
- Reduce heat to low. Pour in half and half (can use cream or milk). Stir until thickened.
- Stir in the prepared pesto.
- Pour the pesto cream sauce over the drained pasta. Stir to coat. Stir in the drained tomatoes and peas. Stir until evenly distributed.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
Monday – Chicken in Pesto Cream Sauce by Flavor Mosaic
Tuesday – Hamburger Stroganoff by Noshing With The Nolands
Wednesday – Watermelon and Mint Pesto Cucumber Noodle Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Thursday – Fried Tofu with Sesame Soy Dipping Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Friday – Peppery Caramelized Onion Egg Curry by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz