‘Tis the season for Christmas baking! And chocolate chip cookies are a must for any cookie tray.
And these are THE BEST chocolate chip cookies! Big, thick, crispy edges, chewy middle. Yum! How do I know….because I have tried a gazillion recipes….AND over 5,500 of my closest friends on AllRecipes.com agree with me. That is because this recipe was adapted from The Best Chocolate Chip cookie recipe on AllRecipes.com.
I tweaked it some to make it my own by adding some cream of tartar to give the top of the cookies a nice crackly appearance on top, and adding some chopped pecans. Sometimes I change it up by making different variations such as adding peanut butter chips in this version.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, chocolate chips, and pecans. Drop by large spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are slightly browned.