My husband is a chocolate and peanut butter fiend!
And really, who isn’t? Who doesn’t love the combination of chocolate and peanut butter? Something about that sweet, salty, creamy, chocolatey combination is irresistible.
So for a sweet treat instead of making the standard chocolate chip cookies, I doubled the temptation by adding peanut butter chips too. Might as well surrender now, no one will be able to resist these cookies.
Another reason these cookies are so good is because it is based on a tried and true recipe. I started by adapting the popular Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe from AllRecipes.com. After all nearly 5,500 rave reviews from readers can’t be wrong.
This recipe combines baking soda with water to create big, thick cookies. I then added cream of tartar to give it that crackled appearance on top.
So when they come out of the oven, you have big, thick chocolate chip and peanut butter chip cookies that and are slightly crispy on the edges and chewy in the middle and crackled on top. And they smell magical when come out of the oven.
To make these, cream together the butter and sugar. Then beat in the egg and stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Drop by large spoonfuls onto cookie sheets, and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Let then cool on a baking rack (if you can resist them that long.) This recipe makes two dozen cookies.
Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and stir in the vanilla. Dissolve baking soda in hot water. Add to batter along with salt. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, chocolate chips, and peanut chips. Drop by large spoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are slightly browned.