Why Texas-Thai chicken in a taco? Because everything tastes better in a taco!
I live in Texas. We are blessed to have restaurants from almost every possible cuisine here. One of my favorites is Thai. So I decided to make a quick, easy thai-inspired dish with a Texas twist: Texas Thai Tacos. It includes all my favorites: Texas-style barbecue, Tex-Mex and Thai flavors all rolled up in a tortilla.
When most people think of Texas cuisine, it is either Texas-style barbecue or Tex-Mex. I love both. However, the food scene in Texas has become much more diverse and culturally rich, just like it’s population.
Thankfully all the different communities love to share their food. We are blessed to have the different flavors of the world right here, at the local restaurants and festivals. We have every type of festival here, including the Greek festival, Italian festival, Turkish festival, International festival, and of course, Octoberfest; and those are just the festivals this month.
This recipe incorporates my favorite cuisines and is so simple to make.
It uses leftover rotisserie chicken, sweet onions, red cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and green onions on top of corn tortillas, topped with a Texas Thai Sweet Chili Barbecue sauce that includes a Texas style barbecue sauce, Sweet Thai Chili Sauce and Sriracha.
For me this recipe ticks all the boxes.
- Quick and easy (ready in 15 minutes)
- Budget-friendly (uses leftover chicken)
- Party-friendly (create a self serve taco bar and enjoy the party)
In a large skillet over medium heat add 1 tablespoon oil, and add the diced onion and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the shredded chicken and sprinkle taco seasoning on top. Stir until the chicken is evenly coated. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is heated through.
In a small bowl mix together the barbecue sauce, thai sweet chili sauce, and sriracha.
Place 8 corn tortillas between two paper towels on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for about 30 seconds.
Now it is assembly time. Place a tortilla on a plate. Spoon about a 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture across the center of the tortilla. Top with shredded red cabbage, shredded carrots, green onions, and chopped fresh cilantro. Drizzle with Texas Thai Sweet Chili Barbecue Sauce.
Assemble the tacos yourself or set all the ingredients out on a table for guest to assemble themselves. Yeah! Let them do all the work…..and they will like it because they get to choose their toppings.
Don’t forget to drizzle the tacos with the Texas Thai Sweet Chili Barbecue sauce.
Make it for your family today. Excuse me while I go enjoy one of these tacos. Yum!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 1-1/2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- ½ onion, finely diced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup Texas-style barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (adjust to taste)
- Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pan and sprinkle chicken and onions with taco seasoning. Cook for about 5 minutes until chicken is heated through and onions are soft.
- In a small bowl mix together the barbecue sauce, thai sweet chili sauce, and sriracha.
- Place the corn tortillas between two paper towels on a microwave safe dish. Heat on high for 30-seconds.
- To assemble, place a tortilla flat on a plate. Spoon in about a ¼th cup of the chicken mixture across the center. Top with shredded red cabbage, carrots, and cilantro. Drizzle with the Texas Thai Barbecue sauce. Enjoy!